Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cradlepoint router and USB dongle

While I have had the Cradlepoint router with AT&T card, I just upgraded my iPhone 4 with the new software to turns it into it's own wifi hotspot. Has anyone done that yet? I'm going to test it out this evening, but if it works, between Rae and I both having iPhones in this mode and I went with the iPad2 with Verizon, I may nix the aircard if this all works out.

I also had a chat with the guy who hooked my iPad to the Crestron unit and he asked if I had any interest in hooking up my iPad or iPhone to the 4 cameras on the coach where I could view them all at the same time? How sweet is that? I'm at the POG happy hour and my phone is watching the Hitler Youth at the same time. Is this a great country or what?

Can you spell "Sheep Repellent"? Now if I could hook the Vorad system up with the key off, I would get parameter Country Coach assult warnings as well.

And since I was so respectful of the CC guys at POG 9 and they dogged me so badly, my only comment for POG X is, "You tell them I'm coming and hell's coming with me..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Winchester View Post
    While I have had the Cradlepoint router with AT&T card, I just upgraded my iPhone 4 with the new software to turns it into it's own wifi hotspot. Has anyone done that yet? I'm going to test it out this evening, but if it works, between Rae and I both having iPhones in this mode and I went with the iPad2 with Verizon, I may nix the aircard if this all works out.

I also had a chat with the guy who hooked my iPad to the Crestron unit and he asked if I had any interest in hooking up my iPad or iPhone to the 4 cameras on the coach where I could view them all at the same time? How sweet is that? I'm at the POG happy hour and my phone is watching the Hitler Youth at the same time. Is this a great country or what?

Can you spell "Sheep Repellent"? Now if I could hook the Vorad system up with the key off, I would get parameter Country Coach assult warnings as well.

And since I was so respectful of the CC guys at POG 9 and they dogged me so badly, my only comment for POG X is, "You tell them I'm coming and hell's coming with me..."
    So how is the iPad and Crestron stuff working out so far? I think that is something I would like to do as well. I don't have any cameras to view yet... I have seen the info on turning the iPhones into hotspots, but have not done it yet. If I recall, wasn't it like an extra $20 per month from AT&T or something? The main reason I went with the USB card is to have actual internet access through the ethernet stuff on the bus...like the Blu-ray player etc. so I can do firmware updates and the like as well as just surf on our laptops. So far it works well even in the garage with steel siding.

I think the iPhone just works off your normal data plan. It was just a software upgrade to kick it off. I get your point about the dedicated line. I'd have to have the same thing if I had a DVR like the one that programs thru my iPhone.

So far the Crestron stuff works fine. But since my wife is a bandwidth hog, I have to make some concessions to work around that. Go figure.

I think the iPhone just works off your normal data plan. It was just a software upgrade to kick it off. I get your point about the dedicated line. I'd have to have the same thing if I had a DVR like the one that programs thru my iPhone.

So far the Crestron stuff works fine. But since my wife is a bandwidth hog, I have to make some concessions to work around that. Go figure.
    I just looked at the menu in my iPhone4 that turns on the personal hotspot and it says that I need to call AT&T or logon to att.com/mywireless to enable it. I would bet it ain't free. I think I read that if you have an iPhone that is jailbroken, there may be an app that will do it without paying. Neat idea if it works.

I have the tethering plan on my iPhone 4 and it's working great when I need it to. (Mostly when I'm away from the bus and need a quick way to get my MacBook Air online for a few minutes.)

The monthly charge is $45 for the tethering plan and includes 4Gb of data month over the iPhone (either directly or through the hot spot).

Being able to leave the Millenicom (Verizon) air card in the bus and travel away from it while still getting internet access on demand (no need to hunt for local Wi-Fi) are well worth the monthly cost for me, anyway.

Bruce

So Bruce,

The data on your tethering plan counts wether you use it on the phone or teathered to the computer? You don't have two data plans, just one that allows tethering?

I would like to know that too...please elaborate on the plan (s). Thanks!

I'm such a dumb ass. I just had my cousin the cellphone / IT dude on the phone and didn't ask him. He'll call back tomorrow and I'll ask.

I'm such a dumb ass. I just had my cousin the cellphone / IT dude on the phone and didn't ask him. He'll call back tomorrow and I'll ask.
    Actually, I thought Bruce would have responded to your question by now, that is why I was asking.... No rush, I can wait till tomorrow. Thanks.

Did you ever get that answer?