Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cradlepoint router and USB dongle

Question Cradlepoint router and USB dongle

I have the MBR1000 ordered and it should be here tomorrow. I can get either AT&T or Verizon for about the same discount (24 or 22 percent) and the same price for the USB dongle. Has anyone here used both that can give a good idea of coverage while on the road.

I have had Verizon up until last June for cell service. Switched to AT&T for the iPhone 4, and have not had any real issues. Do the USB devices pretty much mirror the phones for coverage?

It appears from the advertising hype, that Verizon may have a jump on AT&T for the 4g stuff, but advertising is hardly reliable.

I also have the MBR 1000 router with a Verizon air card. No issues with service availability nation wide over the past 7 years. However, I usually don't stay in really remote areas. Recently upgraded from the 3G card to the 4G card.

4G service is not yet widely available on Verizon, but I've been happy with the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    I also have the MBR 1000 router with a Verizon air card. No issues with service availability nation wide over the past 7 years. However, I usually don't stay in really remote areas. Recently upgraded from the 3G card to the 4G card.

4G service is not yet widely available on Verizon, but I've been happy with the upgrade.
    Can you tell me which USB device you are using on Verion. I am looking at the LG one as it seems to have better reviews.

I went with the LG usb aircard. LG has a pretty good reputation and I've had good experience with them in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    I went with the LG usb aircard. LG has a pretty good reputation and I've had good experience with them in the past.
    Thanks. I think I will go the LG route. I can get it with either AT&T or Verizon. Slight difference between the two, but similar enough. I just have to figure out which carrier to go with...!

Since our phones were already on the Verizon system, and I had no issues with their service, we stayed with Verizon for our internet as well. As full-timers, we depend solely on our aircard for internet service.

Good luck....

Mark,

I've had all of the cards - ATT, Verizon and Sprint as we travel full time. I've settled on Verizon since it has the broadest coverage footprint throughout the US (although no always the fastest speed.) I do have both an iPhone and an iPad for ATT backup in case I hit an area with no Verizon data service.

I would suggest checking out the Verizon service through Millenicom. http://www.millenicom.com/ They offer 20Gb bandwidth per month for $59.99- no additional taxes or fees and no contracts. I've been using them since last October when my original 2 year commitment with Verizon expired and have been very pleased.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more details.

Bruce

I agree with Bruce, my experience is that Verizon has better data/voice coverage than ATT. Barbara has an ATT Iphone, and my Verizon phone has data/voice coverage in 90% of the places that hers does not. With that being said, there have been several good threads about cell phone amplifiers with a roof antenna - if you install one of these, the differences might not be so great.

I have the MBR1000 with a Sprint Express Card.. I have NEVER been anywhere that it didn't work.. That being all over Florida, Texas and in between... it has been amazing. I have had friends travelling with us that would lose reception all the time with an AT&T card. We also switched our cell phones to AT&T from Sprint just to get iphones and the reception doesn't compare to the reception we had with Sprint. With AT&T we have dropped calls all the time and horrible reception in so many areas. I'm so glad I kept my Sprint Card. It's awesome. The Express Card I have is the Merlin 720. I also have an external antenna on the bus. I had Gary Swaim (POG Member) install it when we were in Kerrville as my signal was weaker there than anywhere we had ever been ... most people had NO signal in there as the park was in a hole so to speak. The antenna made a big difference and wasn't too expensive.I also keep my software up to date on the router and the card. Good Luck !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark3101 View Post
    I have the MBR1000 ordered and it should be here tomorrow. I can get either AT&T or Verizon for about the same discount (24 or 22 percent) and the same price for the USB dongle. Has anyone here used both that can give a good idea of coverage while on the road...

I have had Verizon up until last June for cell service. Switched to AT&T for the iPhone 4, and have not had any real issues. Do the USB devices pretty much mirror the phones for coverage?

It appears from the advertising hype, that Verizon may have a jump on AT&T for the 4g stuff, but advertising is hardly reliable.

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

FWIW, if anyone cares, I got the Verizon VL600 by LG. After looking everything over, I decided to go with a 4G card now and hope that Verizon rolls out their 4G in a timely manner. I actually got two, one for home and one for the bus. The home one replaced our old Wildblue satellite system that has been getting worse for latency and speeds for some time now. It was great for the first year or two, but it just doesn't cut it any longer. The 3G Verizon speeds blow it away, and the 4G will really be something.

Cradlepoint's routers are really easy to work with. It took about 5 mins to get it up and running. Can't beat that. It is nice to have internet in the bus. I did a firmware update for the Blu-ray player already, and I am sure we will be using it lots during the summer keeping up with things here like Jerry's toilet problems etc. !