Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Force 1 Towed Braking system

I don't get the heat issue. Turbo and exhaust is on the other side and the Webasto exhausts right out the bottom and back. The tow relay box is right next to it, so if heat were going to be an issue, I figure all those relays and electronic widgets in that box would be more likely to be effected than a tank with a simple valve and some HD plastic tubing.

It sounds as both our engine areas are pretty close to the same. Trying to get a brake system on the bus while in FL was not going to happen at that shop. I was OK with the mounting in the engine area with more of a concern with the tech's ability.
    Not pulling a toad to CA for the rally, which is probably a good thing it turns out. Renting a car at rally CA. RV park.

Just for conversation fuel mileage 6.3 and would be better if not for head winds 2 days in a row. Speed around 65 mph. Fuel prices up around $4.10. Not on the road yet so prices probably up overnight.

If you guys can wait until tomorrow, I can take a picture of my install and post it. Mine is just ahead of the rear bumper tucked in behind the radiator shroud and was put in by SMI at their shop. Nice and clean area.

Default Pics of AF 1

Here they are:
    Valve #1.jpg

valve#2.jpg

Well it looks good but I can't tell what it's mounted to. A couple more strategic photos could save me some time trying to see where they bolted it up. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark3101 View Post
    If you guys can wait until tomorrow, I can take a picture of my install and post it. Mine is just ahead of the rear bumper tucked in behind the radiator shroud and was put in by SMI at their shop. Nice and clean area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Winchester View Post
    Well it looks good but I can't tell what it's mounted to. A couple more strategic photos could save me some time trying to see where they bolted it up. :-)
    Ok..I will do that tomorrow with the better camera. It is bolted to the metal pan under all that stuff.... I'll get to it ASAP. I need some better lighting for the pics too.

OK..here is another better picure. They have bolt slots in the base of the valve and they just drilled into that metal pan that is in that entire area and bolted through it. If you have any questions you can call me at 218-343-3443.

Hope this answers your questions....

DSC_0563.JPG

Yep, that one will work. I can't want to get it rigged back up. It's a real sweet working unit. Especially with the LED's letting you know it's functioning.

Yep, that one will work. I can't want to get it rigged back up. It's a real sweet working unit. Especially with the LED's letting you know it's functioning.
    Yeah, I really like that LED too. Nice to look in the backup camera screen and get verification that the brake is doing it's thing. Hope the installation goes well and that your back decides to cooperate too!

Mark,

Thanks for the help. Valve and tank are installed per your photo and I called SMI and they sent me a reinstall kit with new tubing and fittings. After close inspection, some of the tubing looked pretty rough, so I should have this little project knocked out in a couple of days with the use of my trusty ramps.

JDUB