Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Force 1 Towed Braking system

M & G has been flawless!

M&G has been flawless for me as well.

JIM

Jim and Tom, I currently have M&G on the Pilot but I'm changing myTowed so I am looking for something easy to move from towed to towed. M&G just isn't that flexible and the next owner of the Honda will have a nice braking sys. As a braking system M&G is flawless.

Just put my M & G on so far it's been more of peace of mind. But then again this is the longest this bus has been parked since I've owned it!! Still in Motorcoach Country Club in Indio,Ca

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Tom,

M&G does not fit in every vehicle. When I was looking back in 2007 I called M&G to confirm what a local dealer had told me. It won't fit under the hood in my Dodge Ram 2500. I found Air Force one as a viable alternative and invited them to join is in Sevierville TN, doing a demo install on my truck. It has been flawless in operation for me since then.

M&G requires fitting their valve between the vacuum booster and the master cylinder. On my truck that would also require rebending the brake line from the master cylinder to the distribution block. I don't know about you but rebending anything is not looked upon favorably by me. The only other alternative, if there was room, would be to fabricate a brand new brake line. The Air Force One did not require any modifications to the brake line, only a connection to the vacuum booster line.

I love my AF1 and recommend it to anyone now looking for a toad brake system. Our Prevosts were the first installs they had done on a bus. There were problems but so far as I know all problems were worked out to the coach owners satisfaction.

I really like mine too. They told me when they did my install that they had updated the valve and they were sure it would work as advertised for a long while. I really like the quick hook and unhook for the toad. Can't beat the combo of the AF1 and the Blue Ox tow bar. Makes it easy to pull the Tahoe along.

Will,

I had the same issue. Everyone was howling about the M&G unit, which is a good set up, but it fit about 0% of the toads I was in the market for where the AF fit about 90%, so it wasn't much of a decision for me.

Jerry, have you decided the location for mounting the AF 1 tank/valve unit ?
    Thanks,
    AL

I thinking about the spot where the OTR AC compressor was mounted. The Webasto is there but there is also enough room for the tank and valve with a small modification.

Formerly, it was on the axle side of the engine bulkhead behind the tag axle oxbow looking weldment, but I need to check with the AF guys to make sure the air line length would present a problem. I don't think it will.

When an FL shop was looking mine over for mounting there was talk about heat at engine location. Plus moving the small gray box under the Webasto so as not to be a heat issue they were preferring to mount in the tag area. What was supposed to be less then an hour to mount that unit, run lines, was pushing 2 hours trying to find the best location. Being a little...well probably a lot frustrated over what they wanted to do and the cost I wasn't feeling real comfortable with there installation program. I pulled the plug on it and left the shop.
    The tank/valve unit is a well put together one piece unit. Someone did their homework on that.