Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Force 1 Towed Braking system

Question Air Force 1 Towed Braking system

Hope I can use a 'brand' name here without fear of my post being blocked.

I was looking for a few reviews on the Air Force One Aux. braking sys. now that some here have had it in use for some time.
    Pro/Con, would you install the sys. again?

Thanks for the input.

I have had several braking systems and this one is the best. I am in the process of reinstalling it in the 2007. One important thing to note is where you install it on the coach. They have redesigned the tank / valve assembly, which is a substantial improvement over the initial design, so I would recommend it without reservation.

As JDUB has mentioned, they have redesigned the tank/valve assembly which is a vital improvement. It is also just as important to find a suitable and secure spot to mount this assembly under the bus.

We have had ours for just about 3 years now and we are very happy with the performance of this product.

No problems with recommending the Air Force One....

Larry,
    On my former 99 CC, 98 Chassis, I had the unit mounted on the cross member where the air dryer is located. It fell off twice prior to this but after mounting on the cross member it stayed. Local dealer could not figure this out on their own and I had to tell them where to mount it. They came to my home since I did not feel safe in driving the bus with the tank hanging down. Unit is excellent after the initial bugs were worked out.

Got mine last summer installed direct by them in toad and bus. First class people to deal with and the unit works as advertised. Easy to hook up and unhook from the toad. My tank/valve is located in the engine compartment and is a very neat and clean install. I would get it again!

One more confirmation of the product. My tank / valve is located inside the curbside engine door, just outboard of the Bus air compressor.

Question

Wondering, what makes Air Force 1 brake system better than others.
    Many say it is, but give no reasons.

JIM

Quote Originally Posted by JIM CHALOUPKA View Post
    Wondering, what makes Air Force 1 brake system better than others.
    Many say it is, but give no reasons.

JIM
    For our Lexus, it was the only system that would work. That aside, it provides proportional braking with minimal hookup and essentially invisible systems in the tow.

I agree that the Air Force One system is so easy to hook and unhook, No fooling around with the seat and brake pedal all out of site and works as advertised!

Air Force 1 is rare in that it maintains vacuum in the toad's vacuum booster. The cylinder that applies braking force to the pedal is proportional to the braking effort you use in the coach and with the vacuum (power brake) assist the effort to power the toad's brake pedal is greatly reduced.

The AF 1 uses the signal from the brake treadle instead of air pressure downstream from the relay valve to actuate the brakes in the toad. With the exception of the M&G setup which piggy backs on the master cylinder (if I am thinking straight) all other braking systems use brake application pressure to unassisted brake pedals. If you want to see how much force is required for a car without power brakes, set your toad on an incline with the engine off, pump the brake to get rid of any vacuum that might remain in the system, and without allowing the engine to run, allow the car to begin rolling and see how much force is required to slow and stop it.

If I did not want the option of towing multiple vehicles I would use AF 1.