Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small but steady air leak

With the coach above ride height the ride height valves have no effect on the air bags if air tight. The air bags do not have any " back" pressure from the weight of the coach if the chassis is suspended. This situation only occurs when the coach is above ride height and supported by the chassis. The lack of back pressure will change the amount of pressure required to actuate control valves and will also mask small air leaks. If there is a small leak in the suspension system, it will only be evident when the coach is removed from the chassis support. If the air system is used to lift the coach from stands this leak will not be evident as it is masked by the volume of air that is required to lift the coach from the stands. If jacks are used to lift the coach and not the air suspension the coach will not return to the same height as there is less volume in the complete system due to the small leak.
    I speak from experience as I have had this happen. My old coach would hold air when suspended but would leak when on its own suspension. Basically, I had three small leaks but changing the pressure in part of the system changed how it would leak.

Interesting. The Norgrens which use O rings to seal are unaffected by pressure (or should be) unlike some valves which seal more effectively with increased pressure for example. I haven't experienced that because I raise my coach up to put the stands beneath it, and then raise it back up to remove the stands so I haven't relied on anything other than my air bags to lift the coach for purposes of supporting the chassis.