Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caster Angle

As another point of reference I found a paper that describes Class 8 Truck alignment specs. Caster is typically in the range of 5 to 5.5 deg positive. Anyone have specs for their Prevost? Time to get a Ridewell engineer on the phone.

Thanks,
    Last edited by travelite; 04-13-2011 at 12:09 PM.

I am not coversant with the Prevost specs on alignments, or the underlying reasons for the specifics, but I do know that the Prevost is sensitive to having the correct caster, such that if it is off, the coach handles poorly.

I suspect the engineers develop the requirements based on many factors and that the handling quality of the coaches (both mine have been capable of hands off straight tracking) is a testament to the engineers' efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I am not coversant with the Prevost specs on alignments, or the underlying reasons for the specifics, but I do know that the Prevost is sensitive to having the correct caster, such that if it is off, the coach handles poorly.

I suspect the engineers develop the requirements based on many factors and that the handling quality of the coaches (both mine have been capable of hands off straight tracking) is a testament to the engineers' efforts.
    To the point that you can walk back to the fridge for a diet coke while cruising down the interstate??

The only detriments to excessive caster angle that I've been able to find in the literature are:

1) heavier steering,
    2) greater induced camber in tight turns which may lead to increased tire wear, and
    3) possible steering wheel shimmy

Benefits are:

1) better directional control, and
    2) steering wheel self centering

Michelin posts a preferred spec of 3.5 to 4.0 deg. I'm running 2.7 and 3.0 deg. It would be interesting to see what other buses run.

Does anyone have a contact within Prevost that I could call?

Thanks,
    Last edited by travelite; 04-13-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GDeen View Post
    To the point that you can walk back to the fridge for a diet coke while cruising down the interstate??
    Not being one to work inefficiently, I usually get the coach aimed, set the cruise and then I go to the bathroom and pick up the Coke on the return.

It is actually not as unsafe as it sounds. Di's screaming usually covers up the noise of the guardrail grinding the stainless steel off my bay doors.

BTW, This hands free steering is only available on Liberty coaches so all of you that own SOBs (some other brands) are advised to not try this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Not being one to work inefficiently, I usually get the coach aimed, set the cruise and then I go to the bathroom and pick up the Coke on the return.

It is actually not as unsafe as it sounds. Di's screaming usually covers up the noise of the guardrail grinding the stainless steel off my bay doors.

BTW, This hands free steering is only available on Liberty coaches so all of you that own SOBs (some other brands) are advised to not try this.

Thats pretty good cept I know how Di keeps you on your leash.....fresh baked cookies.

Alignment specs for XL and H3 series are here: http://prevostparts.volvo.com/techni...df/MI98-25.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by stevet903 View Post
    Alignment specs for XL and H3 series are here: http://prevostparts.volvo.com/techni...df/MI98-25.pdf
    Steve,

Thanks, that's a great help!

Once again... The Power of POG!

lonesome george Guest

David,
    If you do experiment with the caster angle on your Blue Bird please post the result, this is the kind of stuff I live for.

Quote Originally Posted by lonesome george View Post
    David,
    If you do experiment with the caster angle on your Blue Bird please post the result, this is the kind of stuff I live for.
    You bet George. You and me both!