Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VOLVO D 13 Engine

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post

BTW, Cat has not left the market, they are just supplying engines for their new line of on road trucks, just like M-B is doing.
    Hmm...I will have to talk to my old Cat rep again about this. He indicated that the Cat branded truck was not for road use, but job site stuff. Who knows, that has probably changed as well.

According to the Cat web site they are starting out with trucks that seem aimed at specific applications such as dump trucks or garbage trucks, but they make it clear they will have the full range.

They have partnered with Navistar who is building the Cat trucks alongside their regular Navistar production.

I wonder if there is much room for a new truck given that the industry is and has been hurting. Used truck prices are absolutely in the toilet (like bus prices) because so many operators have quit the business and the fleets seem to have contracted to match the drop in demand.

According to the Cat web site they are starting out with trucks that seem aimed at specific applications such as dump trucks or garbage trucks, but they make it clear they will have the full range.

They have partnered with Navistar who is building the Cat trucks alongside their regular Navistar production.

I wonder if there is much room for a new truck given that the industry is and has been hurting. Used truck prices are absolutely in the toilet (like bus prices) because so many operators have quit the business and the fleets seem to have contracted to match the drop in demand.
    I wonder if the partnership with Navistar is getting them a top end for EPA certification? May be how they are doing it.

In any event, I hope the Volvo engines going into Prevost buses are better than the ones they had in trucks awhile back. I heard horror stories about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark3101 View Post
    I wonder if the partnership with Navistar is getting them a top end for EPA certification? May be how they are doing it.

In any event, I hope the Volvo engines going into Prevost buses are better than the ones they had in trucks awhile back. I heard horror stories about them.
    I have too. The fellow in the next storage stall here has a 45+ (yes, I know) foot truck/RV conversion with rear toy garage (bikes and tools), with the Volvo engine, and has had troubles with the injectors - but Volvo has evidently made good, more than once on this, and I think took care of the towing expenses. I just wish the US would compete as it should to take or retake the lead and keep it.

What I wish was our legislators would pass laws that reflect reality.

As newer buses hit the market I believe we will begin to have horror stories posted here. If we were to read the various forums that truckers participate in we would read of the grief they are encountering because the legislation was passed to require that engines meet certain standards before the technology was available.

They are doing the same thing with electric cars and hybrids with our money used to provide cash back to buyers. I wonder if the people who buy these vehicles with the expectation of saving the planet have come to realize the limited range and the short battery life and the expense associated with battery replacement. We could never use an electrical vehicle despite being only 8 miles from the center of Knoxville because we gang up errands and make a day of it. We would have to always be ready to run back home when the remaining energy demanded it rather than when we were done with our errands. Further, if we wanted to go for an even modest distance we would need to plan on an overnight stay so the car could recharge. Yet the powers that be want to have us all driving pollution free cars. I'm waiting for someone to actually prove the polution free ("zero emissions") cars actually do have a cost to the environment

I am sure this legislation makes our congress critters feel good and I am sure it gets them votes from those out to save the planet, but I am concerned nobody is pointing out the true costs associated with what is happening because that would be as bad a crime as speaking out against motherhood.

What I wish was our legislators would pass laws that reflect reality.

As newer buses hit the market I believe we will begin to have horror stories posted here. If we were to read the various forums that truckers participate in we would read of the grief they are encountering because the legislation was passed to require that engines meet certain standards before the technology was available.

They are doing the same thing with electric cars and hybrids with our money used to provide cash back to buyers. I wonder if the people who buy these vehicles with the expectation of saving the planet have come to realize the limited range and the short battery life and the expense associated with battery replacement. We could never use an electrical vehicle despite being only 8 miles from the center of Knoxville because we gang up errands and make a day of it. We would have to always be ready to run back home when the remaining energy demanded it rather than when we were done with our errands. Further, if we wanted to go for an even modest distance we would need to plan on an overnight stay so the car could recharge. Yet the powers that be want to have us all driving pollution free cars. I'm waiting for someone to actually prove the polution free ("zero emissions") cars actually do have a cost to the environment

I am sure this legislation makes our congress critters feel good and I am sure it gets them votes from those out to save the planet, but I am concerned nobody is pointing out the true costs associated with what is happening because that would be as bad a crime as speaking out against motherhood.
    Electric power as a pollution free alternative is the biggest fallacy of all of this. Gotta generate that electricity somehow, and much of it is by burning coal.

Oh this just keeps getting better. We sent a snubbing unit out of the US to South America for a job. We finish the job and guess what? We can't bring the unit home because it doesn't meet the new EPA regs. It was grandfathered while it was here, but when we took it out, we had to remove the engine to reimported it. Now comes the good part. Because it's grandfathered here, we can slap a 6V-92TA back in the power pack and go back to work.

We had a fire pump that had a 12V-92TA that the State of Wyoming didn't want us to use to put out a 5000 bbl per day oil well fire out because it didn't meet Tier 3 regulations. The fact that there were no oil well firefighting pumps IN THE WORLD that met that specification didn't deter them.

This is a prime example why our gov doesn't work and for the state of WY, the pollution from a well fire being fed by 5000 lbs a day well or what ever the choke has it restricted to has to be a KAZILLION times more polluting than a damn engine being run for a short period of time. Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the future since the EPA became judge and jury on global warming, greenhouse gases and health hazards. They can go on for years now with unfettered power to do what they want under the guise of self empowered public health concerns. By the time the courts and legislation catch up, the damage will be done - which is the exact plan.

Too many un elected self important beurocrats runnin amok.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide