Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VOLVO D 13 Engine

Default VOLVO D 13 Engine

This information came from Millinieum as I believe they were the first convertor to get the new power plant in one of their buss's ?

Looks like a very nice power plant, and I am sure they will turn it into a beautiful new bus.

http://www.millenniumluxurycoachesbl...oD13Engine.pdf

Gary S.

I was in Fort Worth at Prevost and they had one of the passenger buses in for repair. The mechanic told me they were having trouble with an oil leak on the new engine. To fix the leak, everything on the left side of the engine has to be removed. All coolers and radiators, fan Assembly, everything from the block out. There was a pile of stuff on the floor about the size of my Yukon XL. Not looking good.

Spongebob,

You are gonna have to take those glasses off. Let's think about this for a second: two of the three most arguably successful engine builders in diesel engine history, Caterpiller and Detroit Diesel, quit building automotive diesel engines this past year. Wanna guess why?

It's not because Volvo builds a prettier engine. This emissions issue is so ill-conceived that we have had to install re-gen override on our tractor engines that power ancillary equipment so that the engine doesn't go into a decreased power regime while we are doing service work with it. In your seated coach, maybe it slows down from 70 to 68mph for 5 minutes. In our coiled tubing unit, it decreases the HP available at the tubing injector, thus effecting the extraction rate thus effecting the quality of the job if we can't simultaniously adjust the fluid and nitrogen injection rates / ratios while this unexpected EPA process takes over. Customer gets pissed and I get to no-charge him $800k

Cat wishes they had never seen these re-gen engines and so do we. So when someone has been building diesel engines since 1931 and pulls the plug on this particular engine variety.......

Hey Jerry, I thought that DD was still building the DD15 for trucks (Freightliner / Mercedes) and that just the 60 series went away. Did they quit altogether? I knew that Cat was done with the exception of building blocks for Navistar for the Maxxforce 15L that they will roll out this year with their own top end. Interestingly, Navistar is NOT using urea for meeting the EPA's retarded limits...they are doing it all with EGR.

I think that Cat wished it was still about 1987. They still built wonderful engines back then, but as the EPA stuck it's nose into diesels more and more, they went down hill fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Peggy Stevens View Post
    This information came from Millinieum as I believe they were the first convertor to get the new power plant in one of their buss's ?

Looks like a very nice power plant, and I am sure they will turn it into a beautiful new bus.

http://www.millenniumluxurycoachesbl...oD13Engine.pdf

Gary S.
    The email I got from Millennium said that the Volvo had "1,000" more ft.lbs of torque. I think they meant 100... Still impressive to get 1750 out of a 13L engine, but I wonder how longevity will be impacted.

Mark,

The DD15 is an MTU engine built by Mercedes but the Series 60 went away because of the 2010 emissions, so the reality is even the high horsepower industrial engines have been MTU engines for a good long time or ever since DD quit building 149's or EMD engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Winchester View Post
    Mark,

The DD15 is an MTU engine built by Mercedes but the Series 60 went away because of the 2010 emissions, so the reality is even the high horsepower industrial engines have been MTU engines for a good long time or ever since DD quit building 149's or EMD engines.
    I knew the 60 series was killed because of the 2010 EPA crap, but I didn't know about MTU's involvement in the DD15. The choices are dwindling in engines these days...

This is the 1970's all over again. The cars of the 70's were strangled by add-on emissions gadgets and gizmos because technology hadn't caught up with the pie in the sky legislation. That was when horsepower went way down (165 for a Corvette), fuel consumption went way up, and people just started stripping the air pumps and catalytic converters off their cars to try to improve things.

Here we go again, only this time it is diesel technology that has to develop to meet the standards except for one problem. That technology has been highly refined and developed so anticipate a decade or more of crappy engines and performance while the engine manufacturers try to redevelop engines.

I feel sorry for the truckers and charter companies, but even sorrier for us because in the end we will pay dearly for this in the form of higher costs for everything.

BTW, Cat has not left the market, they are just supplying engines for their new line of on road trucks, just like M-B is doing.

Mark,

I saw the Millennium newsletter yesterday and promptly called them to tell them the 1,000 more of lbs/feet of torque was wrong it was more like 100. I told them that the real bus guys would catch that in a second.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Did you tell'm the real bus guys want real motors not Vulvas?