Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excessive tire wear on toad

Default Excessive tire wear on toad

New tires on 2007 tahoe in feb2010 tires are wearing on the inside on both front tires, I put the front on back and vis versa front tires are wearing on inside again bad!!! I have had car lined up at two different Chevrolet dealers both said they were not out of alignment usually use Michelin but these are Bridgestone Towing bar is level from coach to car any suggestions? They have 16000 miles on tires 10000 was towing. Thanks Gary

Gary,

I don't know about "excessive" wear, but my experience is that towing is hard on tires. We have only towed an H3 Hummer with Bridgestone tires and unless you are diligent on rotation, the front tires wear way faster than the rear ones and overall, they wear faster towing than driving.

Jerry

Lightbulb

You didn't say how many miles on the Tahoe, hi mileage might mean worn/loose suspension parts.

You didn't say what pressure you run in the Tahoe tires. You could try higher pressure, say 42#.

When you go camping do you possibly load up the Tahoe excessively as a trailer. The extra weight would change the alignment from that of an empty Tahoe.

JIM

Well the car only has 50000 on it but yes, my wife thinks it is a dump truck and loads lots of quilting fabric in it. Might be the culprit! I do rotate them often. and Jerry, Dwaine and Sharon Carnes said to tell you hello, we winter with them here at Riverbend, thanks for the input. Gary

I know the answer.

I had an experience with uneven wear on an H2 Hummer. The wear was substantial and occurred in a very short period of time. I did have to replace the tires, but learned to cure the problem

I needed to release the parking brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael View Post
    New tires on 2007 tahoe in feb2010 tires are wearing on the inside on both front tires, I put the front on back and vis versa front tires are wearing on inside again bad!!! I have had car lined up at two different Chevrolet dealers both said they were not out of alignment usually use Michelin but these are Bridgestone Towing bar is level from coach to car any suggestions? They have 16000 miles on tires 10000 was towing. Thanks Gary
    Gary,

We tow a Lexus GX470 which is relatively heavy and "not approved for towing." After ~ 20,000 miles behind the bus the only problem I have at all is front tire wear. I just try to keep them rotated and balanced. I can feel it in the steering and handling of the vehicle if I get too far behind the rotation schedule....

I tow a 1500-4 door Chevrolet truck which is similar to a Tahoe chassis and I have 98,000 miles on it and just put on the 3rd set of tires,I rarely rotate the tires and have not seen any unusual wear.

Megan & Gary,

Pass on my howdy to the Carnes and tell them we will be holding the fort down during spring ball.

Best regards,

Jerry & Rae

As Jon hinted, and I will confess, making sure the toad is set up correctly (as in proper key position) will keep wear down on those front tires..

WELL megan saw my post about the dump truck, and I have been verbally scolded ,it seems ,she thinks I have as many tools, shotguns and ammo that I carry from place to place that is why she can not get more fabric in the coach . We are currently at a stalemate on the subject. I know I will not win this one. I remember the simple times 36' coach just get in and go no pre planning, Now when we leave we seem to be planning for the end of time with all the "things" we carry. O well I can still have a good bourbon and a good cigar life is still good!