Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prevost with a Volvo Engine

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Winchester View Post
    The whole installation looks like a hot mess.
    Thank you.
    If a belt let go.......
    Sorry, but I don't think anyone would call this an 'engineered' integrated approach that is in the neighborhood of reasonable expectation, even for a first year(?) introduction, even without three of the four alternators. Certainly not an improvement, in my view, and if I were a shop manager, I would charge a good deal more on labor for anything associated with this mess, counting pulleys, belts, and shafts. if I were the engineering director, or being evaluated, and had to defend this as an improvement or advancement.....

Definitely NOT MY CUP OF TEA, makes me like my bus even more!!!

JIM

I will return to the PREVOST display tomorrow and see what additional information and pictures I can get before being asked to leave.

John,

Was that small tank on the passenger side for the UREA fluid?

I agree with you Jim. John, was there any mention of fuel mileage with this engine? I've heard that around 3.5mpg is the EPA rating. When I was at Prevost JAX last year the only new seated coaches on the lot were Volvo brand with Volvo power plants. Any mention of transmission? ZF or Allison?

Are these pictures of a Conversion Coach, Entertainer Coach, Passenger Coach, H3-45 or XLII? I would assume the Convertor Coaches will look different based upon OTR, Coach and House Batteries, alternator, et.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

The Prevost brochure and price sheet only shows the Allison as the available transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Are these pictures of a Conversion Coach, Entertainer Coach, Passenger Coach, H3-45 or XLII? I would assume the Convertor Coaches will look different based upon OTR, Coach and House Batteries, alternator, et.
    The shell on disply here in Perry is going to Millenium for conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by jack14r View Post
    The belts do seem to be complicated,the series 60 is a antiquated design for today's emission rules,the Volvo is a much more up to date design and it should perform better with the DEF even though it is about 75 cubic inches less than the 14 liter series 60.I hope that the Volvo gets better fuel mileage,it will have a 4.10 rear gear compared to the 4.56 that was in the DD coaches.Volvo wants the engine at 1400 RPM at cruise and this should help mileage but it might also hurt performance.I have been told that the torque and especially the horse power curves happen much earlier on the Volvo compared to the series 60.
    I know that all the engine makers have been trying to get the engine to run slower at cruise speed. We ordered our last trucks to run just under 1400 RPM at 65 MPH (we limited them to that) and that was just at the point that Caterpillar said was the best for fuel economy. When I was at Prevost TN last Sept. I saw a new bus with the Volvo and I asked the tech working on my bus what he knew about them..he said that the torque was better even though the HP was less. He said it was supposed to perform better than the 60 Series it is replacing. I guess we will have to wait for someone in the group to get one to see if he was blowing smoke or not. The one I saw did NOT have that complicated belt / alternator setup on it.

The propaganda I've seen claims power and fuel mileage will be up over Volvo's PRE-UREA INJECTED ENGINE because the engine can now be tuned to be run more efficiently (dirty) with after clean-up in exhaust. I have no idea how pre urea Volvo's stack up against late model DD60's.