Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prevost with a Volvo Engine

Default Prevost with a Volvo Engine

New PREVOST at Perry with Volvo engine.
    Appears to have 4 automotive style alternators and a new radiator fan drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, I am looking at the belts and pulleys and wondering what happens if...........

Ken:

I agree regarding the belts. Why four alternators? The KISS method was not applied here ! Makes you wonder about the rest of the engine change.

I count 8 belts. I can't see if the fan is belt or gear driven.

The number of alternators could be due to a couple of reasons. First, the big 50DN that is used on a lot of our coaches is a Delco product, (GM was at one time the parent company) used on a Detroit Diesel (GM was at one time the parent company) and is not likely going to be found on a Volvo.

But my guess is the alternators are chassis and house, and without getting into it is its difficult to determine which goes where. The bus does not appear to have OTR so it is possible the converter may have three alternators so the roof or Cruise Airs can run off the inverters.

The whole installation looks like a hot mess.

Does not look like it would be fun to work on. Notice the change to a tube type structure supporting the engine, likely an attempt to shave weight. Also note what appears to be an air bellows supporting the engine. Seems like a good idea to isolate vibrations.

I wonder how that frame structure will work with some of the heavy stacker trailers now being pulled?

Anyone notice the lack of chassis batteries???? Moved due to weight distribution? I would like to have an engineering presentation on what changes have been made and why.
    Last edited by Jon Wehrenberg; 03-15-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Looks like the big green pulley is turning a shaft for the fan, similar to all the previous Prevosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Winchester View Post
    The whole installation looks like a hot mess.
    What Jerry said!

The belts do seem to be complicated,the series 60 is a antiquated design for today's emission rules,the Volvo is a much more up to date design and it should perform better with the DEF even though it is about 75 cubic inches less than the 14 liter series 60.I hope that the Volvo gets better fuel mileage,it will have a 4.10 rear gear compared to the 4.56 that was in the DD coaches.Volvo wants the engine at 1400 RPM at cruise and this should help mileage but it might also hurt performance.I have been told that the torque and especially the horse power curves happen much earlier on the Volvo compared to the series 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Brewer View Post
    Well, I am looking at the belts and pulleys and wondering what happens if...........
    I'm with you Ken.