Thread: Pacific coast travel

Cool Pacific coast travel

It looks like part of our summer planned trip will bring us south out of Seattle into Oregon and into northern California down to stay in Mendocino for a week or two and then south to SF. My question is this. How are the driving conditions and roads coming down the coast? Are their switchbacks and tight roads traveling the coastal road? We love scenery but hours upon hours of tight driving does tend to wear the nerves thin. We will not be in a hurry and can stop often during the drive to unravel the nerves if the drive is worth it. We have never been to the west coast and are looking forward to taking the new bus (to us) on the trip.

California posts and issues the listing of roads, in this case coastal, that are restricted to various maximum lengths. The coastal highway is one of them and you will have to consult with the listing to determine where you can and cannot drive your vehicle. Unfortunately I can't, at the moment, come up with the website(s) the state has these restrictions listed on, but someone is sure to have them.

Check under Caltrans or CHP sites. I believe you will find all of the Coast Hwy and a small part of 101 legally off-limits to you. The restictions on Coast Hwy are probably justified. Last time I looked, 101, which is fine, had a 2-3 mile stretch restricted. ????? Ticket trap, construction, ?????

Don't remember about Oregon, my recollection is it might be better. No clue about Wa.
    Last edited by joelselman; 03-09-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Hope you weren't planning to continue south to Big Sur - there was a landslide that closed the road this week.

http://www.mercurynews.com/central-coast/ci_17638872

45' restrictions in California are located here - http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...s-restrict.htm

You should be Okay on Oregon's part of Hwy 101

Eureka, CA winter, Stevensville, MT summer

Here is the map you need. I live in Eureka and staying legal you can't get here with a 45. I travel 199 several times a year and have never had any trouble, and I go south through the banned point below Garberville often. Trucks do get ticketed on these roads. You should not try to go to Mendicino or below with your coach. I at one time owned an ambulance service down there and the roads are at some places almost impassable and I have seen more than one person high centered on a turn. here is the map. John http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...busmap-d01.pdf