Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Need vs. Want

Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Need vs. Want

I'm thinking about a tire pressure monitoring system. I've done the usual research, reading the other posts, looking at vendor websites, etc.

I understand the theoretical need for a system and I like gadgets. I'm struggling with the practical need.

How often do tires blow or lose air?

Since we are new to motor homes I might be naive to the frequency of issues but I don't see many discussions of problems. Maybe the lack of problems is due to most people using a TPMS so issues are identified early and before they are serious problems.

Any insight?

Thanks,
    Terry

Terry,

If your interested in Pressure Pro, let me know via phone or e-mail, I'm a Dealer for them and will save you a little money.

Here's the website: http://www.tirepressuremonitor.com/

Terry,

There will be a range of opinions on this but I'll chime in with mine. We had never owned any type of RV before we bought our Wanderlodge in 2008.

I did extensive research on TPMS systems at the time since I was concerned about the issue, especially since I was trailering our Land Cruiser, adding 4 more tires to the mix.

In the end, I felt that the expense and complexity of the TPMS probably wasn't justified. Especially since I replaced all tires that were more than 4 years old or showed any signs of cracking/aging.

I check my pressures and visually inspect the tires every time I go to move the bus/trailer. I also stop every 2-3 hours while traveling to walk around and do a visual inspection.

A couple of weeks ago I discovered a cut or beginning tread separation on a trailer tire (despite the tire being less than a year old) prior to the start of a trip. The pressure in the tire was still fine, so a TPMS would not have alerted me to that.

I think that having good tires (not aged or worn) combined with a visual and pressure check before every trip (and along the way) is adequate protection. It does require more effort than simply checking the readout from a TPMS system but it catches things the TPMS can't.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Bruce

Look at "Houston I Think We Have a Problem" posted by Jim Skiff regarding serious tire explosion. This article will give you some idea what you could be dealing with. Not to be taken lightly. I am still seeing Doctors over this issue.

Bill, I read the "Serious Tire Explosion" thread a few weeks ago and immediately bought a tire pressure gauge and chuck with a 15 foot hose. See the images made me a believer in the dangers.

Right now I'm following about the same strategy as Bruce. Check tire pressure before I hit the road and then do a walk-around every 2 or 3 hours.

there is nothing that is as easy to install and monitor as the pressure pro and it also works with silverleaf electronics.I don't care if you check your tires everyday while on the road,what happens if you cut a tire on the drive or on the tag,I doubt you will notice the leak until it is too late.I have seen tire fires on coaches and trucks that have destroyed them.I won't leave home without the pressure pro on my coach,toad or trailer.

Our coach has a Smart Tire monitor installed when we purchased it last year. The prior owner sweared by it. As a test, I lowered the pressure in the right rear tag tire by 20 pounds, checked the monitor - NOTHING. Drove it down the road a couple of miles - still nothing. Headed back to the barn after lowering the pressure another 10 pounds (now tire pressure is below 70 lbs) STILL NO INDICATION of LOW PRESSURE. Pulled into the barn and removed the valve core. When the tire was almost empty the dash monitor alerted that there was a "low pressure problem". I know this particular monitor system is 5 years old, and may have been subject to not being serviced properly, but needless to say, it has been removed and tossed in the trash.

Thump your tires at every stop is still a good rule. Learn the "tone" of a properly inflated tire. Check your tire pressures with a good quality gauge prior to any extended journey.
    This has been my experiance. Yours may vary.

The pressure pro manual states that at 12% under the set pressure the alarm will go off,I know that it works because on real cold nights I have had an alarm on my truck when the tires were a couple of pounds low and combined with the cold temperature the alarm is activated at the wrong time of the night.

Once the batteries in them get low they don't send a signal. If you got one that is not working I bet it over 3 years old and been on the tire all that time. The units don't stop working just because you stop.

I had pressure pro on my last bus, mostly so I would know if the toad had a issue. It certinally gives you piece of mind knowing all is ok. It does not replace the necessary walk around, thump and visual. The sensitivity of the pressure pro was very good, and was a good way to check pressure on all or any tire at any given time. I did purchase an use a repeater, I am sure Tom can guide you on that. I took the system with me to my current coach for my toad.