Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon Mi-Fi

Default Verizon Mi-Fi

For many years I have used a Verizon aircard while traveling. In January while at Titusville, I switched to a Mi-Fi. Al I can say is why did I wait so long, it works great. Allows you to use up to 5 devices, is completely wireless and as long as there is cell service, you have your own hot spot. I installed the device, about the size of a small cell phone so it is plugged in to 120 at all times, but it also works off it's own battery if you want to use it in different locations. It automatically goes to sleep when nothing is connected to save the battery time.

The best part was the price. I was due for an upgrade on my aircard and I got the Mi-Fi free. I was paying 59.00 a month for the aircard and I'm now paying 35.00 a month for the Mi-Fi for 3 gig of time. If you go over the 3 gig, it's only an additional 10.00 per gig. I wasn't sure 3 gig would be enough, but Nance and I wore it out for the first month and I used 2.6 gig.

This is a great way to go for normal users, but may not be the answer for heavy business use. Now before you experts get your panties in a wad, it's only good for 3g not 4g and that is a non-issue for the way we use the service, it's plenty fast.

It also won't work for Jon, he still hasn't tethered his Droid!

Hi Tom. Can you post a picture of the unit.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Here's the question from a computer challenged. guy.

Would I be correct in assuming that for $35 a month you have internet connection? May I assume you don't need a phone but probably some device to make the MiFi and the computer communicate with one another?

Or asked another way, if I were to get that device, could I do away with my home internet connection and just take that with me when I travel and use it at home also?

Neither Comcast nor Verizon will tell me what 3 gig is or how many gigs I currently use. Is there an answer in simple English as to what that means to me. I don't download songs or music.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post

Would I be correct in assuming that for $35 a month you have internet connection? May I assume you don't need a phone but probably some device to make the MiFi and the computer communicate with one another?

Or asked another way, if I were to get that device, could I do away with my home internet connection and just take that with me when I travel and use it at home also?

Neither Comcast nor Verizon will tell me what 3 gig is or how many gigs I currently use. Is there an answer in simple English as to what that means to me. I don't download songs or music.
    Jon - Vita and I use the Overdrive Wireless Hotspot device by Sprint in our bus. It's foolproof and dependable. We've used it at home on occasion when we've had Comcast outages (rare) and the speed is comparable! Cost-wise, the unit sells for $50 ($349 retail less $300 new service discount) with a 2 year contract and the monthly fee is a little less than $50. Not cheap, but we've been very pleased because Vita needs continuous internet access for her work when we travel and with the Overdrive, she can actually be on the internet while we're rolling. The only time we went over on our usage was last summer when we were touring with the drum and bugle corps that my son teaches (The Troopers - Casper, WY) and the brass staff had adopted our bus as their "staff vehicle". All those guys were connecting through our Overdrive constantly (you can connect 5 devices at once) and surfing the net, streaming videos, etc. I don't think you would have any usage overages the way I think you use the net.

Just spoke with my Verizon rep and he informed me that the 4G MI-Fi should be out within the next month. He wasn't sure if the $35 plan with 3G a month was going to be offered. However he says that he was certain that 5G a month would be available at about $10 more (around $45)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post

To answer your question, YES.

I think you are confusing two terms in your mind. 3G or 4G is not the same as 3g or 4g or 5g usage. the 3, 4, 0r 5 represents 3 gigabytes 4 gigabytes or 5 gigabytes of usage. In rudimentary terms 3G and 4G refer to the speed of the data transfer.

Even with all the posting you do you will not exceed 5 gigabytes of usage, IMHO, music, videos and games use the most bites and I don't think you partake in any of that, at least not excessively.

Watch the video in the link for a good explanation of the 3G, 4G technology.

Barb and I both get by nicely within the 5 gigabyte allowance with two computers and daily use.

We use the Verizon "air card" @ around $60.00 a month with 3G technology. I do not feel the time is right to jump into the 4G as the service is not spread over the entire Verizon service area as yet and there are many start up hiccups to get over.
    I don't need to be the first on the block with the newest and greatest.

http:
    //www.firstdigest.com/2009/02/the-difference-between-3g-and-4g/

If I did not answer all your questions please ask more.

JIM

Jon, Great questions.

Michael, I'm computer challenged and illiterate.

Someone please answer the three questions so I can understand. Like, Yes, No, Yes. Or Yes, Yes and no.

Thanks in advance.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim C, I was clear that 3 gig was usage and 3G or 4G was some whiz bang marketing term. The real heart of my question is if this device will work at home or while on the road, in which case I have zero need for my Comcast internet service if I can use a mobile device to satisfy my home needs.

What concerns me is what is the catch? Do I have to have my droid tethered or is this a stand alone device? If it is a stand alone device it bears looking at.

Lest you Neanderthals think I am totally out of touch with technology, I had hard wired cell service in our bus since 1990. It used to be called GTE back then.

Jim C, I was clear that 3 gig was usage and 3G or 4G was some whiz bang marketing term. The real heart of my question is if this device will work , I was clear that 3 gig was usage and 3G or 4G was some whiz bang marketing term. The real at home or while on the road, in which case I have zero need for my Comcast internet service if I can use a mobile device to satisfy my home needs.
    Yes!

What concerns me is what is the catch? Do I have to have my droid tethered or is this a stand alone device? If it is a stand alone device it bears looking at.
    No, your laptop computer should wirelessly connect to the MiFi or Overdrive device (as long as your laptop is set up for wireless networking - most are these days.

Lest you Neanderthals think I am totally out of touch with technology, I had hard wired cell service in our bus since 1990. It used to be called GTE back then.
    I have vague memories if that early mobile technology (like bag phones, etc).