Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basic Electrical Things

You say potato, I say potahto. Ray the juice coming out in the end is the same but maybe they are different.

Joe,

Are you sure about that 24 volt? Stick a meter on it somewhere. This could be something we could wager on. How about Di and I take you and Deb out to lunch or dinner in Branson if you alternator is putting out 24V?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

LOL, thanks Ray. I was gonna ask Jon about his eyesight but decided it might be something I was not looking at correctly.

I'll also agree with you about the simplicity of the set for the bus and also was wondering about what set was more efficiantly wired or more powerful or if it mattered.

I was concidering changing the house set over to the same as the bus set if for no other reason than uniformity, but don't dare till I get more difinitive info.

dalej Guest

Jon we have the same 24v generator as Joe plus a aux. 24v gen plus a 12v alt. for the house.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Good question Jon, but what makes you question this, something you see in the way things are wired up im guessin.

As for dinner, we are still waiting for the provider of the first dinner challange, the nitrogen question, sorry but we have not camped the bus since we parked it in Feb. I do still plan on doing this, so we will put that bet on hold a little longer.

Did they also make that gear driven, oil cooled alt in 12 volt? If so why in the heck didn't they put everything on the bus 12 volt?

If it is any clue, on the upper rear engine compartment wall, there is a vannar high efficiency battery equalizer and it is marked 24volt input, 12 volt output. That would tell me you would now be owing us 2 meals

Potato, potahto tomato, tomahto. Now I'm gonna have to go dig up my CDs. Sachmo and Sara Vaugn did that one the best.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 07-20-2007 at 08:11 PM.

It's been a long time since my engineering days, but in drawing this out as a schematic, one benefit of the left circuit become a possibility.

In the left hand side, you could actually tap off of the where where battery 2 connects to battery 3. At that point (to ground) you have 12 volts, and actually you have two batteries in parallel for extra current.

In the right hand version there is no place to do this. you could tap off a couple of places and find 12v, but it would be only a single battery worth, so the left is more valuable if you need 12v too.

My guess here is at the 24v legs, you effectively get the same thing. Maybe one version gives you a little more current, but I really don't see how that would be the case.

Ray

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Thanks Ray.

We've another bank of 4 all parralell for the12 volt stuff and we also have enough other projects to worry about this. Stick a fork in it it's done.

Dig this. We picked up 8 interstate wet cell deep cycle RV/marine batteries, bran spanken new for 30 bucks a piece . Used our ICC# and no tax, 240 bucks total. They were factory seconds because the carry straps were missing and they were scratched. If We can get 10 bucks a piece for the old ones at this weeks local garage sale that will bring the total for all 8 to 160. Eat your hearts out

My 87 had the gear driven alternator. It was a 270 amp, 12V. I know the buses are 24V, but maybe the 12 on the 87 was because the DDEC was 12V. Except for the headlights all lighting on that coach was 24V.

Now the 97 has a 24V alternator. Same amperage. DDEC is still 12V, but now all lighting is 12V. Does anyone see a pattern here?

Ray, I do know Prevost does their batteries that way so they have a 12V source, such as for DDEC.

I still want to see 24V output with my own eyes.

Joe,

What's with the N bet? Refresh my memory.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I've heard that memory is the second thing to go

You bet me that if I put nitrogen in my tires that they would still grow when hot and deflate when cold, contrary to the sales pitch that claims they will not.

I'll stand by that. set pressures cold before you leave for Branson and at the first stop you make check the pressures.

Then go in the coach and check your wallet to make sure you have enough money to take us to lunch.

However.....I'm busy pulling up Prevost wiring diagrams and they are all calling for 24V alternators, so one day we treat and the next day you treat.

Damn.

win42 Guest

Joe: The next hurdle to get you and Debbie to Branson should not be the polishing of your SS to look like everybody elses coach, fingerprints and all. My Royale was never polished as the others. I could read the envy in everyones eyes when they saw it at both POG Rallys. There is something to be said for nostalgia. Would you drive around in a 1932 ford three window coupe that was chromed, of course not. Bring the bus au natural but clean to Branson. You and DaleJ have become ICONS of our group with your many bus repair projects. I want a picture of both of you together with your pretty brides at your sides.