Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Convert from 8V-92 to Series 60

The hills out west will not allow you to get 7-7.5 unless you are willing to slow down.

Speed equates to a headwind and with headwinds or speed the mileage goes in the dumper. Add in hills and no matter how much fuel you save going downhill, it never makes up for what you burn going up. Exactly how much impact depends solely on how fast you are trying to go. I have a retarder, so on my downhill runs I dropped it down to 4th and held the speed to 55 because the steeper grades would have been tough on the brakes. That may have impacted my mileage also. Going up those same hills in the opposite direction I was lucky to see 55 so you have some idea of the grades that were impacting my mileage.

Your OTR will take a few tenths of your MPG, so the bottom line is when we travel in the west with our 46,600 pound coach towing our H2 Hummer we weight 53,000 plus and are lucky if we can get 7 MPG. When we went west on our last trip not towing, we got 7.3 for the approximately 4000 mile round trip.

As much as I hate paying for fuel, I just accept the fact that whatever it is there is not much I can do about it, and not using the coach as much as we want to compensate doesn't make sense.

Thanks Andre,
    That was quite a discussion and alot of info. We use to subscribe to Bus Conversions when we converted our first Eagle. I thought they went out of business. Sounds like my tag axle is going to prevent the B500 trans from fitting. Guess I will scrub the idea for now until I can figure something out.

Jon, thanks for the welcome, I am very happy with the content of this site. I look forward to enjoying the discussions.

Question

Maybe keep the 8v and install a two speed rear end, just sayin.

JIM

Quote Originally Posted by travelite View Post
    Hi Mark,

As I'm sure you're aware, the emissions controls on the later S-60's do have a cost in terms of fuel mileage; nonetheless, Robert made it very clear in his earlier posts that he's a talented fabricator with a complete fabrication shop at his disposal and that he likes his bus and wants to keep it. This is great project and will provide a wealth of information and expertise to the forum. I'm looking forward to lots of pics. Robert, good luck!
    Yep, I too think it would be pretty neat *but* if Robert is planning on a big fuel gain, I wanted to let him know it *may* not happen. Lots of variables in this equation that are not clear.

Robert,

I suspect your bus is your hobby because you are a gear head like me. I won't get into it to the extent that it sounds you are willing, but I like taking on various projects on the bus, each one being a learning session.

Don't misinterpret any of my remarks as negative concerning the swap you are contemplating. I think you would get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction doing it, and even if the economics don't make much sense today you will have gained a wealth of knowledge. Yes you will have to deal with a lot of issues, ranging from the small ones like making sure the accessories and their belts are lined up and your new dimensions don't force you to start relocating things like the compressor or the fan drive to line up with the engine pulleys, to changing out the cooling fan to a 2 speed fan to fitting the intercooler, to possibly changing out the rear doors to those with cooling slots. Lots of work, probably lots of Lewbucks, hours of effort, but an end result that would make anyone proud.

Some of us not only drive our buses, but we spend hours working on them.

I lean towards Jon's last post as far as what you will reap in satisfaction & knowledge enhancements. Just one last thought not brought up, what cha gonna do while the bus is down? Sounds like you enjoy time spent traveling, any idea how long this will take to bring to fruition once begun?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark3101 View Post
    Yep, I too think it would be pretty neat *but* if Robert is planning on a big fuel gain, I wanted to let him know it *may* not happen. Lots of variables in this equation that are not clear.
    Mark, after re-reading my post this morning I see that I may have come across a bit strong, sorry.

Over on the Wanderlodge forum, WOG, we have members contemplating swapping their two-strokers for S-60's. We have one thread happening now where a 6V92 is being swapped for a Cummins 8.3.

Have friend that is in process of installing S 60 in 87 prevost. Hes very knowledgeable on the matter. His name is Ken Arnold and he said he would be glad to answer any questions you might have. 615 2104963. I also told him he needed to join POG> He said that he was. Im 1 yr old on POG> Have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by travelite View Post
    Mark, after re-reading my post this morning I see that I may have come across a bit strong, sorry.

Over on the Wanderlodge forum, WOG, we have members contemplating swapping their two-strokers for S-60's. We have one thread happening now where a 6V92 is being swapped for a Cummins 8.3.
    No problem...I like to see what everyone else is thinking on things like this. Whatever he does, I hope he has good luck!

Well, I made some calls today and it seems that the tag axle is the deciding factor. Prevost Jacksonville pretty much echoed Jons thoughts about the 6 speed world trans size, and the tag axle configuration preventing installation. There is an "auto shift" trans that would work but it does not have the performance of the B500 world trans. Also the wiring harness would have to be modified with new plugs. My axle ratio is too low and would need to be replaced if not using the O/D world trans. All in all I am a bit dissapointed, but then again it is not like the 8V92 is tired or needing work. Quite the opposite, it runs like a new one. So for the time being we will run as is and make a trip out West to see just how bad or good the mileage is.
    If anyone comes across a nice 40' Liberty 96 - 97 let me know. I would hope many folks would like to trade up to a 45' and let their 40' go. We would prefer light oak cabinets but I know most of them are the laminates and we may have to settle for that.
    Thanks again for all the support and info, I appreciate the negative as well as the positive comments, that helps me look at things from many perspectives.