Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rivet Gun Needed

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Ordered the stuff

Harry-

I ordered the parts you recommended including the extension and the rivets. Thank you.

Big Harry & Dale,

The bottom panel, along the rivet lines, had some sort of adhesive to the superstructure. When attaching the new ss panel, what element should I use, if any? Would just regular silicone serve the purpose - I want to make sure I'm doing this right, because I'm only doing it once.

Thanks

Mike

dalej Guest

Mike, Black silicone will work, it seals out the dust and moisture, your doing great. I seen the word NEW, you naughty naughty boy!

Mike,

I saw where you suggested you have to beat the bay door structure back to shape. It may cost a few lewbucks, but if you have a metal working shop nearby (such as a company that does AC ductwork or a custom metal fab shop) they will have a press brake or regular press.

With a few blocks to support the ends or a flat forming block they can exert the tonnage you need to straighten out the Buffet bent panel. What may take you a lot of time to do will take only minutes.

But I tend to avoid relying on others, it is probable you already have the tools. If you can rest the panel on blocks and sit a jack on the panel directly under a bus support point you have several tons of power at your disposal. The key to repairing it is where is it bent, and can you put the straightening force in the right place?

Jon,
    I bought a large workbench vice and manhandled that to do some straightening, along with a mini sledge and bad language.
    Plan B was to go to a body shop, however I wanted to try it myself first, screw it up and end up by paying even more when I show up hat in hand.

BUT... You're idea about the 22 ton bus press is a great idea and I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Your comment in another thread about this group amassing a great deal of info in a short period of time is right on the money - we can conquer the world

Mike
    Last edited by MangoMike; 11-08-2006 at 03:04 PM.

win42 Guest

Mango: I'm not aware of what Jon is refering to, but what he is saying makes sense if indeed you have a bent door panel. You always have to get the base structure back in place before adding the outer trim panel. Dale is correct on the silicone, but a very thin coat, so it won't bulge the panel out. clamp it tight before riveting if you can. I'm sending you a private message, check it out.

Ben Guest

Mango,

I've found the perfect book for you

It can be purchased for only $9.95 here:
    http://rvbookstore.com/shop/detail.aspx?p=883&m=2

That's a lot cheaper than a new rub rail, so go buy it before the next Jimmy Buffet concert rolls around

Ben,
    Can I get that in a Braille Edition?

MM

Ben Guest

Mango,

I didn't know your eyes were THAT bad. No wonder you scrape up the sides of your bus... maybe what you really need are bifocal rear view mirrors and some 6' curb feelers.

Or is it that you just like the tactile sensation of scraping your fingers (or bus) across rough surfaces?

Note to Ben:

When you break someone's gonads about dents and dings, it would be prudent to avoid dinging your coach at all costs. Guys like JW lurk in the background waiting for the smallest mis-step so he can light that flame thrower.