Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's a trade in worth today?

Gershwin,

Just to clarify, you may use the 179 for either new or used equipment...

Good luck - where there is a will there is a way....

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I guess if those prices are the new reality the market still is a buyer's market because those prices don't come close to reflecting the real value of a coach that still has 80 to 90% of its life remaining.
    Pricing today I"m seeing - 2001 non-slides in the mid to low $200's, 2001 1 slides $275k, add $15k-$25k for each MY thereafter, a $15k deduction for a CC digital dash. I'm seeing 2002 DS going @ $300k, 2003 DS $315-$325, 2004 $350-400k and 2005 in the $400k-$500k range. 2006-2007 - $485k-$599k of course Legandary price points aren't applicable.

Absent from any price statements or estimates will be two things. The first is the condition. A coach in pristine shape that has detailed maintenance records should have a higher value than an average coach of the same age and converter. While in general it may be accurate to value a no slide 2001 coach in the mid to low $200,000 range I can easily think at 10 years of age some very expensive items that could be due for replacement or that have already been replaced making for a huge swing in value.

Add to that the cost of a deep cleaning or even replacement of carpets and upholstery and it is not unreasonable to add or subtract $50,000 from the range when also considering if air bags, tires, batteries, Norgren valves, etc are due.

The second and perhaps more critical factor in evaluation is what a buyer will pay. That is influenced by a great number of factors such as the coach meeting the buyers requirements for layout, equipment, colors, converter, etc. It is also influenced by the buyers ability to pay cash or secure financing, and finally by the right buyer being there when the coach is available for sale. Some coaches have unique colors or layouts or equipment lists and a limited market because of that, but conversely a coach that has the most desirable layout, colors, and equiment may have a great number of potential buyers and therefore be valued higher by the market. As an example, all sellers of coaches will always make it very clear that a coach has OTR. While not everyone necessarily feels compelled to buy a coach with OTR, there will always be people that will not buy a coach because it does not have OTR.

But the bottom line is always going to be how much a seller will accept. Assuming the values for coaches listed above is correct it makes the issue of depreciation very clear as to one of the biggest cost of ownership, especially with respect to newer coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Absent from any price statements or estimates will be two things. The first is the condition. A coach in pristine shape that has detailed maintenance records should have a higher value than an average coach of the same age and converter. While in general it may be accurate to value a no slide 2001 coach in the mid to low $200,000 range I can easily think at 10 years of age some very expensive items that could be due for replacement or that have already been replaced making for a huge swing in value.

Add to that the cost of a deep cleaning or even replacement of carpets and upholstery and it is not unreasonable to add or subtract $50,000 from the range when also considering if air bags, tires, batteries, Norgren valves, etc are due.

The second and perhaps more critical factor in evaluation is what a buyer will pay. That is influenced by a great number of factors such as the coach meeting the buyers requirements for layout, equipment, colors, converter, etc. It is also influenced by the buyers ability to pay cash or secure financing, and finally by the right buyer being there when the coach is available for sale. Some coaches have unique colors or layouts or equipment lists and a limited market because of that, but conversely a coach that has the most desirable layout, colors, and equiment may have a great number of potential buyers and therefore be valued higher by the market. As an example, all sellers of coaches will always make it very clear that a coach has OTR. While not everyone necessarily feels compelled to buy a coach with OTR, there will always be people that will not buy a coach because it does not have OTR.

But the bottom line is always going to be how much a seller will accept. Assuming the values for coaches listed above is correct it makes the issue of depreciation very clear as to one of the biggest cost of ownership, especially with respect to newer coaches.
    One can bank on 50%-60% depreciation gone in the first 3 years of new unit ownership. Then it appears to drop off significantly to 10%-15%/annually.

I agree w/ your detailed evaluation perspective but my experience w/ other toys is that if you don't have a knowledgable buyer those "option" appeal items aren't valued at all. Maintenance is however a universal understanding and one has to assume that any coach w/ deferred maintenance must be up to date and sorted as a foregone conclusion when understanding the basic pricing structures.

One of the problems with buying a coach that has "deferred" maintenance is some corrections can be made with no future ill effects. For example replacing out of date or tires with sidewall cracking, replacing leaking shock aborbers, or leaking air bags instantly restores that portion of the coach. No harm, no foul.

But we cannot defer coolant changes, air filter changes or oil changes for example because replacing out of date items such as coolant and engine oil does not erase the harm that has already taken place. So a knowledgible buyer has no choice but to assume if a seller has allowed some maintenance items to be postponed, it is probable other items have been postponed. Delaying or even missing lubes can never correct the wear or harm done and that damage may not show up for a while. but when it does it can get expensive. Defer replacing bushings in an IFS front end and it is probable the ball joints will become damaged. Now instead of pressing in a few $50 bushings and paying for a few hours of labor it might ramp up into a $2000 repair. All of these types of deferred maintenance items will never be immediately noticed, but the damage has been done.

I would hope nobody believes doing a full maintenance on a coach that has a poor or no maintenance history does not all of a sudden create a great coach. I know a lot of buyers take pride in posting how the dealer or seller did this or that, but that is only a valuable maintenance event if it is a continuation of a good maintenance program