Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm no computer newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Sawbonz View Post
    Next question: How do I get it to jump to the last post I haven't read in a given thread? I can get to the last post, or even the last page, but those are not the same.
    After you click the "New Posts" link to bring up threads with posts since your last visit, look for a small circular icon with two liitle down arrows in it to the left of each thread. Clicking on that icon will take you to the first unread post in that thread.

Kindly explain to me what is disorganized?
    Tom, I think what Jim is referring to is the difficulty in searching for technical information. Using the simple search tool will only give results on the specific words searched. In order to find useful information it is necessary to use the advanced search features of the search tool.

New members don't seem to be aware of the "Articles" and "Information Sharing" areas of the website. While these sections are invaluable to both wrench-heads and the technically oriented, I would suggest these sections could be consolidated and better organized, perhaps under the same headings as the forum categories or under titles coinciding with the Prevost Maintenance Manual. Authors of these articles might consider periodic updates to their contributions also. Jon has upgraded a couple of his contributions as an example. I would think an occasional request for article updates via PM's from the moderators would not be unreasonable.

All of us at POG are proud of our accomplishments and of the camaraderie we have due to our interest in these fantastic magic machines. The wealth of information we share is unique to POG in the world of recreational vehicles. As time goes on we gather more and more good information. It seems to me that a little reorganization of information along with a new member "Read before you Proceed" page would be helpful in reducing the number of repeat questions that occur as we grow.

Thanks Skiffer for bringing us all together and thanks Tom for jumping in to share the work. By the way when are you going to dump the plastic and get back in a real machine?
    Last edited by BrianE; 02-03-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Over the years with this forum and others I have been on there is one thing constant. Newcomers to the forums will start asking questions, and a lot of the time those questions have been answered over and over.

Because of that participants in forums usually take sides, with one faction suggesting that newcomers do a search instead of asking for answers that have already been given.

The other faction thinks it is good to answer questions because no matter how often the same ones are asked there always seems to be nuances. It is true we often answer the same questions, and I fall in with the group that does not mind that they are frequently brought up, but I think it is intimidating to a new member to complain because they asked a question that could have been answered with a search.

I think newcomers would be well served if they explored the entire forum and the POG site. The information that has been gathered is extensive. But I also think that doing a search for information on a specific topic is sometimes a waste of effort because this group like every other I have been on cannot stay on topic for more than a few posts. There are nuggets of information contained in threads that have nothing to do with the topic of the thread. It's a wonder any of us can find anything.

Jeff Bailey (are you out there Jeff?) had a good idea that I thought would be an excellent way for newcomers to learn a whole lot real fast. He wanted to create a list of links or resources that could be referred to for information on every subject. I think if a few of the new members who want to learn would pick forum topics, read the threads and catalog all the information within those threads we could then all benefit from access to that catalog listing. The Newcomers would come up to speed on almost anything related to the bus in a big hurry.

I think Jeff was thinking links to service providers, suppliers, and general information, but I see no reason why it could not be expanded to include links to posts that contain good information.

Just my brain dump for now. And this makes post 8000.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Over the years with this forum and others I have been on there is one thing constant. Newcomers to the forums will start asking questions, and a lot of the time those questions have been answered over and over.

Because of that participants in forums usually take sides, with one faction suggesting that newcomers do a search instead of asking for answers that have already been given.
    For the record, I looked for the answers to my initial question (about pricing and such, another thread) prior to posting, but only because of the second statement above. There is an interesting thread on rv.net about the stupid common posts, and the more stupid answers given to them. The vitriole on that site is one reason I am impressed with this one.

You surely know, because I do after being on here a short time, that there are a half-dozen topics that could be addressed by "stickies". Even so, some of those threads just give people the chance to post and talk, which is a good thing. Even if off-topic.

I do think it would be fantastic for someone (Jon) to organize the site though. Make it into a book for me to read, a wiki if you will.

What Karl said...

Quote Originally Posted by Sawbonz View Post
    For the record, I looked for the answers to my initial question (about pricing and such, another thread) prior to posting, but only because of the second statement above. There is an interesting thread on rv.net about the stupid common posts, and the more stupid answers given to them. The vitriole on that site is one reason I am impressed with this one.

You surely know, because I do after being on here a short time, that there are a half-dozen topics that could be addressed by "stickies". Even so, some of those threads just give people the chance to post and talk, which is a good thing. Even if off-topic.

I do think it would be fantastic for someone (Jon) to organize the site though. Make it into a book for me to read, a wiki if you will.
    Karl,

That just ain't gonna happen until someone teaches me what a wiki is, and even then I would likely not do it.

Is that something like tethering your droid?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Karl,

That just ain't gonna happen until someone teaches me what a wiki is, and even then I would likely not do it.

Is that something like tethering your droid?
    From Wikipedia: A wiki is a website that allows the creation and editing of any number of interlinked web pages via a web browser using a simplified markup language or a WYSIWYG text editor. Wikis are typically powered by wiki software and are often used to create collaborative works. Examples include community websites, corporate intranets, knowledge management systems, and note services. The software can also be used for personal note taking.
    Wikis serve different purposes. Some permit control over different functions (levels of access). For example editing rights may permit changing, adding or removing material. Others may permit access without enforcing access control. Other rules can be imposed for organizing content.
    Ward Cunningham, the developer of the first wiki software, WikiWikiWeb, originally described it as "the simplest online database that could possibly work." "Wiki" (pronounced [ˈwiti] or [ˈviti]) is a Hawaiian word for "fast".

AND, I tether my iPhone, thank you!

I nominate Sawbonz to pull together the links of pertinent poop for POG members. Do I hear a second?

I'll be happy to Second your motion, Jon.

Personally, I don't "wiki" anything.........

Brian (aka Mole Man)

I do have some stainless on the Krackmobile!

As for the forum comment by Jimmy C, we do our best to keep things in the correct category to ease the pain when searching and there is no magic solution to provide anyone with instant results for a given topic or question. I belong to 3 other forums and frankly, POG seems to be hands down easier to find information than the others. I'm all for making it easier and better organized, but to label the forum as grossly unorganized is a stretch.

We could change the New Members category with a statement for Newcomers to first read the Information Sharing and Articles section and that would answer many questions and possibly clear up some mystery regarding Prevost ownership.

We have lots of new members and maybe some of the lurkers could jump in and give us their opinion of the forum. I would hope that there are positive experiences with being new to the forum and I'm sure some find the format easy to navigate.