Thread: shore breaker box

Hybrid View

Default shore breaker box

I UNPLUGGED MY BUS FOR ABOUT 20 MIN.WHEN I PLUGGED IT IN AGAIN THE SHORE BREAKER FLIPS ON AND OFF ABOUT 1 SECOND BETWEEN ON AND OFF WHATS UP WITH THAT

WAYNE MOUREAU 1997 LIBERTY 45FT.

Wayne, breakers don't flip on. Can you explain more about what happened? I am assuming you mean the shore power box the campground has and not your breakers on the coach.

Between when you unplugged the coach and when you plugged it back in, did you turn on any more breakers in the coach? My initial guess is you were drawing a relatively high power when you unplugged the cord. When you plugged it back in something inside the coach drew power that is wasn't drawing prior to unplugging, like the water heater kicked on. But also keep in mind your inverters are set up to go to bulk charge after power is restored, and if you were drawing a lot of power from the batteries when you were unplugged, such as coach lights, the refrigerator, TVs etc. when the inverters went to bulk charge they not only ramped up in power due to that, they were probably set at a high charge rate and were drawing power in excess of what you were previously drawing.

That's just a guess.

JON IT IS THE SHORE BOX IN BAY OF BUS WHERE YOU SWITCH FROM CABLE REEL TO STARBERT I BELIEVE IT IS A RELAY I HAVE NOT TURNED ANYTHING ON THE ONLY THINGS ON IS REF. AND BATTERY CHARGER THE BUS IS IN MY BARN THANK YOU

Do you have a manual switch to select port or starboard inlet?

It is possibly a relay used to automatically select either port or starboard inlet the power inlet.

My coach has two sets of relays, one for shore and gen set the other for inverter or shore. I believe that the newer coaches have dedicated inverter panels eliminating the second set of relays. I have a manual switch for port and starboard inlet but it could be done by relays.

That vintage Liberty should have a manual selector for Port and Starboard and a 70 amp breaker. Turning on and off by itself sounds like a transfer switch issue.
    Jon?

I have not had to take apart or repair my transfer switch so this is a guess.

The coach 120V electric supply default is the inverters. If the coach does not "see" shore or generator power your inverters supply the 120V panel circuits.

When shore power is available I believe there is a time delay and then contacts (likely from a large relay) close to complete the circuit from the shore power to the coach 120V panel. If the transfer switch is jumping between on and off I suspect power to the relay coil is being interupted but without knowing how the relay coil is energized (such as via a time delay relay or other means) I can't be sure what is going on.

It does sound like a relay is acting up.