Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I made a mistake

Default Acceleration

Sawbonz

You can always add a middle of the road computer upgrade to the DD. It will raise Hp and Torque significantly. We did and we actually get better mileage as well as extra power. Our local mech recommended the Stienbauer chip as it is pre set. It seemed to have good reviews. Just another option with the DD

Good luck!

Chris

Chris, any more details? Cost, difficulty, reasonable result expectations?

Thanks,

Sawbonz,

I believe the cost installed was 2700.00 . I'll look back and get actual for you. The results were very noticeable apprx. 1mpg increase in mileage when towing H-2 which I thought was OK. On the power issue getting on the on ramps was alot better for me with the new system. I was told by mech that there were other systems that could give as much as 40% more but he felt that the expected 20% from the Stienbauer would help enough without overstressing engine and drivetrain components. If you drive safely the extra power in the right sitiuations could help. I'm still a novice at this but I'm glad that we added this to our coach. We have an 04 H345 Vantare which we really like. You and you family are sure to know the coach for you when you step into it then drive it.

Chris :-)

What does Detroit Diesel recommend? Are they in agreement on these types of upgrades? What about Allison?
    On several previous RV's I owned I upgraded to BANKS System which increases upfront torque but is not sanctioned by the engine manufacturers.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Am I alone in wondering how a modification can increase power and mileage and not be embraced by Detroit?

We've had it for a year now, and I like what it has done for mpg and power. As far as the DD part someone would have to inquire with a DD rep or shop and get their opinion.

Chris

Jon

I keep forgetting to ask. Where in Ny were you from? We are not far from Jamestown.

Chris

Once I get a rig I will definitely look into this. On my F250 diesel I added a cold air intake, 4 inch stainless exhaust and a BullyDog chip and got enough power to smoke the tires and increased my mileage about 20%!

I don't understand the need for an upgrade! I had two series 60's, they had plenty of power, good on fuel and were about as reliable as you can get. I've heard of folks having a catastrophic engine failure way out of warranty and DD stepped up and helped with the cost. Do you suppose they would be willing to offer that assistance to the engine that has been modified with chips or whatever? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    I don't understand the need for an upgrade! I had two series 60's, they had plenty of power, good on fuel and were about as reliable as you can get. I've heard of folks having a catastrophic engine failure way out of warranty and DD stepped up and helped with the cost. Do you suppose they would be willing to offer that assistance to the engine that has been modified with chips or whatever? I don't think so.
    I spoke with a DD service center manager and he recommended against reflashing my DDEC IV to go from 1550 ft-lb of torque to 1600 ft-lb. This is a DD upgrade. He was concerned that my Allison World 4060HD transmission may not be up to the task. Now, some of this may by CYA, but I too have to ask, if there's a simple fuel map reprogramming that increases fuel mileage by 15% I'd think DD would be all over it. Show me the numbers.... I'd like to see 7500 miles of cross country driving with actual gallons pumped and miles traveled. Skeptical...