Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator(s?) on 03 Liberty

Question Alternator(s?) on 03 Liberty

Are there 2 alternators on an 03 Liberty, one for house and one for engine batteries? We seem to not be charging as we roll down the road. Gauges and Liberty book indicate we must have some issue with our " alternator". Since gauge for engine appears normal, I assume there must be 2 alternators. Just fired generator up to charge so they don't drop too low. Any ideas what we look for when we get home tomorrow? Thanks everyone. Deb

I had a 2005 and it only had one alternator,a 270 amp 24 volt,I would check the regulator as Prevost has updated it around 2008,I had one fail.The generator with the guest charger will keep the coach batteries up as long as you are not driving at night but the OTR will not work.

Thanks for the reply.How does generator know if it is day or night? We have the Lady Classic with 12 volt system. OTr is working, or at least appears to be. We will look into our big book of details soon. I appreciate your info and ideas. Maybe ours is slightly different being a classic and not elegant lady. Readings on house monitor in dash with 2 house battery chargers on and generator running is +50amps and 14volts. Other dash gauge has been barely above 0 amps and 27 volts. That reading has been normal all day. Deb

The Classis has a 12 volt house thus has the large alternator for the 24 volt Prevost chassis and a 145 amp alternator near the radiator for the house.

There are only two ways to charge the house batteries. Start the generator (or shore power) and the inverters become chargers or run the alternator off the engine. If the engine driven alternator is not working (run the engine and note the house voltage should go over 13 volts) it likely needs repair or replacement. Take it off and any local alternator shop can check it. It could be the internal regulator or the alternator itself.

Deb,

If you have a 12 volt coach you must have 2 alternators. 1 each 12 volt very large one for the house batteries and a smaller 24 volt one for the engine /chassis batteries. Have you looked to see if you threw a belt on the engine?

At night our current needs are greater because of headlights-that is what I should have said.

Shouldn't you be able to check the voltage on the alternator with a multimeter? If you have voltage start following the wires.
    GregM

Thanks everyone! We will investigate when we get home. Deb

Our bus also is configured with a 12 volt system and the 12 volt alternator is located on the left (driver) side of the engine and is driven by a belt from the fan drive gear box.

Unfortunately, we have replaced ours twice already. Relatively easy fix, but not necessarily a cheap fix.........

At that number of miles there should not have been a failure. At that number of miles two failures is ridiculous.

I think these folks make the alternator in question. http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/alt_search.php