Thread: Tether your Droid

Default Tether your Droid

While in the frozen south this week I was given a special one on one technical training session on the various ways to stay "connected" by none other than Truk.

Thanks to his efforts I remain fully convinced staying "connected" is an illusion at best and likely not all that important. To wit.....He spent some time bitching about the slow speed and the difficulty connecting. This despite the fact he has a wi-fi gizmo that is supposed to be 3G, whatever that is. So being dissatisfied with his computer he attempted to show off with his droid (he really has one) and it "locked up" whatever that means. So he spent extra time removing the battery and massaging it so it would start working. I think he called it re-booting.

Nancy's phone (also a droid or droid clone) puked and would not turn on, charge the battery or start working. That required a software update. My phone without text, voice mail, or a camera thus far has not required re-booting or a software update, and it works when and if I turn it on.

In the meantime my wife and I were oblivious to outside interruptions to our tropical vacation. I admit if the phone was turned on it may have rung, but that would be defeating the purpose. I have the phone for my convenience, not that of Truk when he wants to jerk my chain.

Bottom line, we survived a week without access to a computer or email and only had an occasional rare phone call from folks that know the secret code. I guess that is why our bus is called a recreational vehicle and not a business tool.

DITTO TO THAT!!!!!!!!!! Seems like I am spending more for monthly services for iPhone, iPad, Autonet Router, XM Radio and all the other devices that seem to consume my time, money, fuel to run the genset or keep the inverters going for all these WATTAGE consuming devices. How do you do without?????????? I need to go and qualify for the government free cell phone program.

AprilWhine Guest

Wasted my time and annoyed the pig.

Cheers,
    Sherry

Quote Originally Posted by charlesebrownjr View Post
    DITTO TO THAT!!!!!!!!!! Seems like I am spending more for monthly services for iPhone, iPad, Autonet Router, XM Radio and all the other devices that seem to consume my time, money, fuel to run the genset or keep the inverters going for all these WATTAGE consuming devices. How do you do without?????????? I need to go and qualify for the government free cell phone program.
    Many moons ago before the age of the internet and cell phone people who were in business and away from the office relied on the telephone, and on occasion the pay phone to stay "in touch". Fortunately for me one of my businesses was one in which I would often be gone for a day working where I had no access to telephones. As a result I empowered the employees to make decisions on my behalf. For those who think they have to participate in every decision that will be as foreign a concept to them as it is to me to have to answer a cell phone while out to dinner with friends.

So I literally could go away for weeks at a time and never feel the need to be checking in every hour or every day. My employees likewise felt perfectly capable of making good decisions and then telling me about them after the fact. The success of my companies proves they did a very good job.

The bottom line is that if I feel I have to be on line every day, answer emails every day, and even have my cell phone on all the time I might just as well stay home.

That is not to be interpreted as meaning I am out of contact with the world. The bus has a hard wired cell phone that is never off, even when it sits in the garage. If anyone needs us while we travel it has an answering machine and if we are not in the bus, we eventually will be and will return calls. I probably will not answer the bus cell phone if I am driving. If I am flying the cell is off, but when on the ground it is turned back on.

Personally I think it is great to have access to a phone 24/7, but on my terms. Ditto with the computer and emails.

Signed,

The Pig

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Personally I think it is great to have access to a phone 24/7, but on my terms. Ditto with the computer and emails.
    AMEN!!! What Jon said!