While in the frozen south this week I was given a special one on one technical training session on the various ways to stay "connected" by none other than Truk.

Thanks to his efforts I remain fully convinced staying "connected" is an illusion at best and likely not all that important. To wit.....He spent some time bitching about the slow speed and the difficulty connecting. This despite the fact he has a wi-fi gizmo that is supposed to be 3G, whatever that is. So being dissatisfied with his computer he attempted to show off with his droid (he really has one) and it "locked up" whatever that means. So he spent extra time removing the battery and massaging it so it would start working. I think he called it re-booting.

Nancy's phone (also a droid or droid clone) puked and would not turn on, charge the battery or start working. That required a software update. My phone without text, voice mail, or a camera thus far has not required re-booting or a software update, and it works when and if I turn it on.

In the meantime my wife and I were oblivious to outside interruptions to our tropical vacation. I admit if the phone was turned on it may have rung, but that would be defeating the purpose. I have the phone for my convenience, not that of Truk when he wants to jerk my chain.

Bottom line, we survived a week without access to a computer or email and only had an occasional rare phone call from folks that know the secret code. I guess that is why our bus is called a recreational vehicle and not a business tool.