Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bus stands

If Jon makes more I would be in for a set.

Montell, Texas....40 miles north of Uvalde which is 80 miles west of San Antonio

So would we.

Truk.................

BITE ME!

To others inquiring about stands I am working with my daughter to see if she wants to include them as a standard product available to Prevost owners. There are two issues. Freight cost is a killer. If they can be shipped in bulk by truck as we did to Kerrville the cost per set is tolerable. If individual sets are shipped freight is very pricey.

A second consideration is the folks at the factory (Jamestown Advanced Products) have no clue about the height of stands for a given coach. Not to make the issue more complex than it is the H models have at least two heights for fronts and rears, and the 8V92 XL has different rear heights than later models. Additionally we know there are coaches out there with air bags that will not raise the front as high as others and the potential for the wrong height stands is significant.

They have always been made and distributed at cost. I would have to do some arm twisting to get these safety items made with no profit. I can offer something for consideration.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-...ack-95553.html

The jacks listed above are a safe, if not expensive alternate. I use them occasionally by having the hydraulic jack in the lowest position and threading the center adjustment screw up under the body support point. They are just shy of touching the support points with the bus in the fully raised position. Once in place I lower the bus on to them so it is a pure mechanical support to keep the bus from dropping. They are excellent for use in jacking because I attach an air hose to them and squeeze the handle. DO NOT USE THEM EXTENDED HYDRAULICALLY IF YOU ARE GOING BENEATH THE BUS UNLESS YOU HAVE A FAIL SAFE SUPPORT TO SUPPLEMENT THEM.

AprilWhine Guest

http://www.cpojettools.com/jet-44131...egrabber441310

This is what I am ordering. Use squares of 2x12 or plywood to get the jack close to the right height. The screw adjusts the rest.

And, before it is asked, we support Aircraft Carriers in drydock with wooden blocks.

Jim

I use Jon's stands when the bus is on flat ground; they work great and are very well made. When I have the bus on ramps and need higher stands I use regular adjustable jack stands for the extra height that is needed They are rated at 12 tons each and will support 48,000lbs. when two are used. That is more than enough to support either end of the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    I use Jon's stands when the bus is on flat ground; they work great and are very well made. When I have the bus on ramps and need higher stands I use regular adjustable jack stands for the extra height that is needed They are rated at 12 tons each and will support 48,000lbs. when two are used. That is more than enough to support either end of the bus.
    Denny,

I am interested in bus ramps. Did you build or order yours? Any pictures?

Hector

At one time the company also made steel ramps which would support the coach, front or rear. They were sold through Sporty's and in the pictures showed a Prevost supported by them.

I guess I have to pull this stuff together and get some photos. I think Truk used a set I have (the prototypes) and I think i gave a pair to Mango.

Hector,
    I went to a local Amish sawmill and bought 2 - 6 x 8 x 8 rough cut oak timbers. I cut them in half giving me 4 - 6 x 8 x 4 pieces. I then measured in about 18 inches from one end. From that 18" mark, I took a chain saw and cut the ramp angle going to nothing at the other end. I used the 8 " side for the base of the ramp thus raising the bus 6" off of the ground. Between the ramps and lifting the bus with the air system even a fat guy like me can get under it. I used this when redoing the OTR A/C system on my CC and I was able to get at everything.

This is a case where a picture is worth a thousand words. I do not know how to post a photo of the ramps on POG or I would. If a photo is needed, I can take a picture on my phone and text message or email it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Hector,
    I went to a local Amish sawmill and bought 2 - 6 x 8 x 8 rough cut oak timbers. I cut them in half giving me 4 - 6 x 8 x 4 pieces. I then measured in about 18 inches from one end. From that 18" mark, I took a chain saw and cut the ramp angle going to nothing at the other end. I used the 8 " side for the base of the ramp thus raising the bus 6" off of the ground. Between the ramps and lifting the bus with the air system even a fat guy like me can get under it. I used this when redoing the OTR A/C system on my CC and I was able to get at everything.

This is a case where a picture is worth a thousand words. I do not know how to post a photo of the ramps on POG or I would. If a photo is needed, I can take a picture on my phone and text message or email it to you.
    Thanks Denny....

Hector

Denny - If you want to post the picture, text it to me at 770-634-7530 and I'll post for you.

Jon let me use two of his Prototype Ramps and they worked great, but I needed 4 and Mango stole the other two!