Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about new tires

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Larry and Diane, I tried the Sam's club in Houston, and was told they did not have 315's. Apparently, the person I talked to must have been filling in in the Tire department from fruits and veggies that day, because you were able to get tires from Sam's. The Continentals I bought were $589.95 each, mounted, balanced (or with equal which I chose) and taxes. I bought them at Southern Tire Mart, who have some 55 branches across the southern states and Nevada, which I found to be somewhat comforting, in case I need a tire replaced. I also spoke with Beasley Tire in Houston. Very nice and helpful, but were more expensive than Southern Tire.
    Now to be able to find time to give the tires a workout...and see how they perform....so off to the Oysterfest in a few weeks. Look forward to seeing everyone there!

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Pete,

I am curious if the tire dealer you dealt with mentioned anything concerning a rebate for your old tire carcase. I keep reading that the tire carcases are worth money for retreads. I seems each time I have have purchase tires, the dealer charges for taking the tires to get rid of them? What am I missing?

What is the process?

Hector

The tour bus operator that I use for new tires, Burke Christian Tours, Denver, NC, is the only place I've been to that's given me a credit for my old tire's. They do it by date code, they don't give much for a tire that's 5 years or older. Less than 5 years will bring a good credit. I don't have my receipt in front of my so I can't tell you exactly how much. IIRC it was around $100 per old tire - don't quote me on that till I verify it.

Pete...
    Glad you got your tires and its a done deal.. You're right that Sam's don't carry the 315s.... they had to order them. I'm glad you're all fixed up and happy... it can be a real ordeal up here in Lufkin getting the things you need...
    Look forward to seeing you at the Oystefest..
    Larry

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

I just got a fellow Pogger a price of 698.45 out the door, mounted and balanced for Michelin's in Atlanta, even though I don't think he ever followed through.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Hector, I sent you a PM.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Default Shocking News

I am getting close to needing to buy a new set of tires. My purchase of Double Coin tires brought more than a few comments, especially those comparing Michelin tires and all other options available to us.

So I started poking around on the internet to see what is out there in tire land. That inspired me to dig into Double Coin a little bit because they have been good (except for one damaged by an unknown road hazard) and I did not want to rule them out.

Well ladies and gentlemen......in poking around the Michelin site I did a search and found that Michelin and Double Coin are not competitors because Michelin owns Double Coin.

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/EN/search

Michelin and Double Coin have created a joint stock company in Shanghai.

Just to put this in perspective I just shopped Tennessee and find I can get a set of 8 Michelin tires for $8320, or a set of Double Coin for $4600.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/315-8...item3a6809481c

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/315-8...item3a6806c193

Jon,

I thought the price per Michelin tire (315/80/22.5), using FMCA's Michelin Advantage tire program, is $553 per tire. I know a person who just bought tires this week using the FMCA program and that's exactly what they paid.
    Last edited by travelite; 09-23-2011 at 12:58 PM.

If that is the case, Michelin tires are CHEAPER than Chinese Tires, although we really don't know what the country of origin will be on Michelin.