Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about new tires

Be aware...1 quote on Michelin doesn't mean "that's the price". I recently shopped a michelin tire and was quoted from 700 to 950 for the same tire. I BELIEVE the last quote I got from Prevost for 315's was 700 or less.

I had Prevost Jacksonville replace all 8 of my tires on Nov. 1, 2010 for $643.11 each. Have had Toyo and Goodyear with equal. I much prefer the Michelin tires for ride and handling and are very quiet.
    The previous set of Goodyear's were ruined because of the equal not sufficiently balancing the tires. Could not tell driving the coach but got to noticing the tire ware. Also, I believe the Toyo's are only rated at 65 MPH, the Goodyear's maybe 70 (ck. their web site info) the Michelin's are rated for 100. (just kidding) 70 Mph. The Goodyear's seemed to be good tires till I ruined them. They were around the $550.00 +/- price. All the vehicles I have had with Michelin tires, I can't say that I can remember ever having a problem. Good Luck

I bought 8 Michelins in Eugene Oregon for $710 mounted in November this year. Like others I had prices all over the map as high as $1100 a piece quoted to me. There definetly isnt a standard Michelin price. Mine are XZA 2 Energy. The coach is new to me so I dont have anything to really compare them too but they ride just fine near as I can tell. But hey like I said its a Prevost so I dont really have anything to compare them to. I thought they were a fair deal.
    Craig Lenz
    Yellow Grass, Saskatchewan
    --------------------------------
    1996 Angola XLV #5688
    Twin Entry / Wheelchair Accessible

Pete. Please call Beasley Tires in Houston on highway 59 and use my name as reference. (281) 449 2365. I deal with the owner Bob Beasley or his son Michael. I do not know where you are getting your prices on Michelins but from my view, you are way off. Let me know if you are going to call him and I will give him a heads up. He is very, very honest and I have purchased at least five sets of tires from him in the last 60 months. I could be wrong but I would give Bob a try. very best,
    Pres

Terry J. Sturgis Guest

I bought Michelin 255/80R22.5 XZE for $400.00 each. I know a guy at Belle Tire and he got a friend of his to buy them for me at fleet prices. Mounted and balanced. I sorta had to buy Michelins as my truck came with the 255's, whice are made by Michelin for the business class trucks.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Reagan, I have talked to Mike Beasley, very cordial. I am still getting prices, and will contact them again before my search ends. Thanks, I may be calling you.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Tires are one of my favorite subjects. Prices can be all over the board, and sadly there are some tire dealers that will take advantage of you when you pull up with a high dollar motorhome.

Our motorcoach company uses roughly 60 new 315/80 22.5 tires per year. In our history we have both purchased and leased tires from several manufactures. Leasing is at first attractive, with the promises of only paying for what you use, but we have returned to owning our tires which is best for our purposes.

We have used Firestone FS400's, Michelin XZA 2's - XZE, Goodyear 149 RSA's - Goodrich 234's and Continental HSL 1 Coach.

My parents raised me to say nothing about the bad.

With that said we have converted all of our over the road commercial coaches to the Continental HSL 1 coach tire.
    It is specifically designed for motorcoach use. A little taller tire than the others, with really good wear. Great ride and quiet running with low vibration, 5 rib tread pattern.
    In addition we like this tire because it re-caps really nicely. These tire carcases are usually worth 130 - 50 dollars for trade.

The price is usually competive with the Firestone and Goodrich tires.

We bought our coach a year ago with 8 new Continental 315's - HMS 45+ if that means anything.

They are for all practical purposes SNOW tires and make a good bit of noise, but they are new with less than 10,000 miles.

Would it do any harm to replace the steering tires with something with a quieter tread design and would that really make a difference in both noise and steering?

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Thanks Ameristar, I was leaning toward the Continental tire. The ones quoted with the best price was the Eco. Any experience with it?
    Thanks for the input from someone who has actual experience with Continental.
    Pete

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Default DOUBLE COIN TIRES

Pete, I still LOVE my DOUBLE COIN Tires. They have worked flawlessly and are higher load rating than any of the others out there.

If you want to contact the Vice President of the company to talk with him about a set for your bus, here is his information. Aaron C. Murphy (888) 226-5250 http://www.doublecoin-us.com/

MUCH BETTER PRICE than any of the other tires out there, and a Houston Truck rep will do the install.

Gary S