Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about new tires

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Default Thinking about new tires

I am starting to get quotes on new tires, and in doing so, I have gotten prices on Michelin (need to take up bank robbing to buy a set of them) Bridgestone, and Continental keeps coming up. Anyone have any experience with Continental? I see them on some high end European cars, and they seem to have a good reputation. Continental has a reasonable price, and warranty, just wondering if anyone on the site has any experience with them. I have used Bridgestone in the past and have had good luck with them.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

I bought the Firestone FS400's when I replaced my tires last spring and have been very satisfied with the ride and the wear. I also found the Michelins to be uncomfortably high priced. They certainly are proud of their tires!

Mine need to be replaced as well. I currently have Toyo on the coach that are beginning to crack after several years.... Does anyone have an opinion on Toyo?

Pete,

Would you mind posting the cost of the tires you have had quoted?

I am also looking to replace my steer tires and the Michelin quote from a local truck place fro 2 tires mounted and balanced and new valve stems was $1700.00

My family had a small trucking business (205 tractors-575 trailers) and used ONLY Michelin. We tried the others, but had much, much better luck with Michelin, and over the years, they just got better and better. We even switched our retreads to Michelin from Bandag and had substantially better life with that too. The prices were reasonable and the dealer as well as Michelin took very good care of us.

I wont't buy anything but Michelin. I know they cost a bit more than some of the others, but I think they are worth it.

If anyone is near Atlanta and needs tires, contact me, I can get you a discounted POG price on mosts brands including Michelin. I have partnered up with a good friend who owns Action Tire and they have 37 location's around Atlanta. I will be helping Action with Lifeline Batteries and in return we will have a tire source for POG members.

If you have no intentions of going to the Atlanta area for tires, please don't bother with a price quote, I don't want to waste their time.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Andre, Just a scattering of prices I have gotten thus far.....Prevost Michelin $897.51 including FET...does not have labor, mount, and balance in the price. Firestone 607.93 includes mount, balance. Toyo 562.00 includes mount and equal. Bridgestone 692.52 includes mount and balance. Continental 556.58 includes equal. All prices except Michelin include mount and balance or equal, and taxes.

I am still waiting for quotes from other suppliers, and will post as soon as I get them. As best as I can tell, the brand preferences are as scattered as the prices. Some claim good service, and some claim bad service on all brands. I just have difficulty paying almost twice the price for the Michelin tires, when few of us put a limited number of miles on our coaches, and have to replace tires based on age rather than miles.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Mark what part of small did I miss 205 tractors? Just joking. I bet you had your hands full. The boys have 35 cattle trucks and all I hear them complain about is I can't wait to just get sub- haulers. That's all they run is Michelin on their trucks. They used to run retreads on the trailers but quit doing that a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by Sid Tuls; 01-10-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Pete,
    Not specific to truck tires, but I did just replace the high dollar performance tires on my Audi. Went with the Continental version due to excellent reviews and less price. Very pleased so far - quiet, good grip and about 1/3rd less cost.

I know some folks are going Chinese, but I have too much experience with poor QC on chinese oilfield equipment.

You might want to consider the Kumho KRS-02. I have them on all positions on my bus and am very satisfied with both price and performance. They are as quiet and ride as nice as the Micheliens I replaced and have been trouble free over four years on the drives and steers. In November I changed out my remaining Micheleins on the tag axel by getting new steers and moving the old steers back. Cost $965 for two tires, balance (Equal) and install, all taxes and disposal of the two old ones. Kumho is made in S. Korea. They make everything from racing tires, regular automotive and heavy equipment tires.
    Disclosure: My law firm represents Kumho Tire in the US but this endorsement is unsolicited and uncompensated. I truly like the tires.