Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - Looking at 1999 Vantare H3-45

Default Newbie - Looking at 1999 Vantare H3-45

Hi, my name is Terry and I think I'm developing a Prevost problem. I've been lurking and soaking up information for the past several weeks and I'm ready to start asking questions and eventually contributing (or at least try to contribute).

We are boaters and want to add a motorhome to our list of depreciating assets. We are looking for a 1997 to 2000 non-slide coach. We spent the last two days in Tampa and looked at several XLs and a H3-45. The H3 caught our eye and we drove it today.

I'd like to hear overall impressions about the converter, the H3 and what I might be missing.

The coach is a 1999 Vantare H3-45. The chassis also 1999 and the DD is a DDEC 4. Here's a short list of features:
    + 140,000 miles
    + Don't know age of air bags or valves. They are checking on this for us.
    + OTR, RVAC, 2 CruiseAirs
    + 365's on steer and tag, 315 drive (mfr 1109, installed 09/09, guessing less than 10k miles)
    + Getting oil change info. It looks like it is well serviced.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to contributing and meeting everyone.

Terry
    Last edited by TerryM; 01-05-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Welcome Terry! It looks like you're asking the right questions about the bus you're considering. As far as the H3 goes - I'm a more traditional stainless steel & rivets kind of guy, so I prefer the XL chassis, but that's more of a personal preference thing and not any reflection on the H# chassis. I also prefer the single level floor, so the XL simply works better for me. I'm sure there are just as many Prevost afficionados who prefer the H3 over the XL. WE love our Vantare conversion, so I obviously think it is a good choice. There's no such thing as a bad Prevost or even a bad converter. A good purchase decision boils down to finding the bus that you love that has the features that best fits the way you will use thew coach and negotiating a purchase price that reflects the current condition of the bus and allows for any maintenance and repairs needed to bring the coach up to snuff.

Have fun shopping for your dream bus and let us know how we can help!

Hi Terry. I would ask for all maintenance & repair paperwork they have. Have them check the codes on the DDEC for any problems in the past.
    With the coach being 10 years plus in age, I would replace all air bags, shocks, belts, hoses, etc.
    Check brakes, bushings, wheel seals.
    Change Radiator fluids, Drive train oil and transmission oil.
    Flip every switch, head light, turn signals, etc.
    Coach Batteries

On the Convertor side, turn everything on, check all switches, verify awnings, waterpump, heaters water heater, etc.
    Check refer , washer/dryer, sinks, drains, holding tanks and sensors
    Batteries and inverters, ageof batteries
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Terry, see if you can get a "Pressurized Cabin" test on inside of bus. This is where a large duct is afixed to a roof vent (one way) and all windows, etc are closed as normal. They then pump into the bus enough air to pressurize your cabin, much as an airliner, and using either a smoke fixture or soap suds solution, cover the entire bus on the outside to attempt to determine the "Airtightness" hence any possible water intrusion possibilities, little things like marker lights, loose rivets, awning problems, etc can be discovered.

Terry,

I'll make this simple. If you are buying from one of our sponsors I believe you can trust what is being represented. Trust me on that. POG is a small community and the worst thing a seller wants or needs is bad word of mouth. I am not meaning that Rick sends Cousin Tony after the seller, but our sponsors are literally part of this POG family and to the best of my knowledge are very straight shooters.

As to the service history, if you don't have it in writing in the form of a log book or receipts or other proof, just consider it not done. At the age of the coach budget $10,000 and just go ahead and replace every air bag, Norgren valve, brake chamber, shock absorber, drop of fluid, every filter and all belts. PM Michael for advice on how he went about doing that because he just got through doing that.

Do what Gary says.

The H3 doesn't need to be pressurized unless you see evidence of water damage. It is a different construction method from the XL, especially early ones.

Good morning,

Thanks for advice.

We are working with Ken Robertson and could not be any happier. He was able to relate nearly everything to us boating terms and how it would relate to a Prevost. He even has my wife interested in learning how to drive. He doesn't know it yet but I'm going to hit him up for driving lessons for her.

We met with Rick and Ben at Coach Worx and if we decide to make an offer they will most certainly be doing the PDI.

I found an weight ticket in the maintenance file from 2009. It looks like they were working out tire pressure with the new 365s.

Steer 16,080
    Drive 23,477
    Tag 11,563

Total drive and tag of 35,140
    GVW 51,120

I don't have any idea about fuel, water, etc at time of weighing. Is the weight on the back an issue? From what I understand, the legal max is 34,000, so that's an issue. How about from performance, safety, etc.? How easy or hard is it to move weight to front axle?

Thanks, Terrry

Terry,

Welcome aboard and you found the right guy to buy a bus from. I've seen that H-3 and it was very nice. You're in good hands and good luck with your purchase.

Terry,

You don't need us because you are already dealing with good guys, extremely knowledgible about the coach, and who have contributed greatly to POG, not only with their expertise, but by providing a lot of assistance to POG members over the years at their expense.

Prevost has a data plate that is specific to the coach (mine is located adjacent to the driver's seatr) and it lists weight limits for each axle. The standard for weighing is with all your "stuff" in the coach and full fuel and water. The weights help determine the correct tire pressures. I am not advocating that you exceed axle weight limits, but it is probable a lot of coaches are going down the road overweight on one or more axles and I don't remember anyone ever talking about ill effects from being overweight apart from complaining about how high tire pressures have to be. I cannpt ever recall anyone posting problems with excessive bearing wear, premature brake problems, etc. Just be conscious that if it is overweight you have compromised braking but probably so slight as to not be measurable.

We had a feeling we were in good hands. Thanks for confirming.

The PDI is scheduled for tomorrow. I'm looking forward to crawling all over our, hopefully soon to be, new bus.