Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange tire wear on TAG tires

I am not a tire expert, but have driven around 250,000 to 300,000 on our coaches.

I have to be in a place that involves a very sharp turn before I even think about lifting my tag axle. And then the only reason for doing so is not because I am thinking about tire wear or scuffing, but because I want to shorten my wheelbase by a little to help make the turn. I have always used the Michelin specified pressures plus 5 pounds. The tags on my first coach therefore were at 75 PSI and the current tags are at 90 PSI.

The tags have not shown unusual wear. I made the mistake on the first coach of putting the steer tires that had scallops around the edges on the tag thinking that was a good spot. 5000 miles later the scallops had grown to such an extent the steel belts were showing. Now uneven tires go on the drive.

Very few miles are spent making sharp turns on our coaches. And when I do sharp turns I am going slow so while I am sure I am scuffing the tags sideways they are also rolling so the scuffing is uniform. Ditto with left and right turns being equal in number so I am an equal opportunity scuffer. I have put about 85,000 on this coach since I got it and the tires on the tag were steers new when I got the coach. They have been on the tag position for about 30,000 of their life of 85,000 and when I run my hand across them I feel no irregular wear. But remember, on this coach my tag dumps air when I make very sharp turns, it just does not lift the tag.

On the previous coach the oldest tires had 130,000 on them, but I also rotated the tires on that coach every 30,000 miles. That coach was the one with scalloped tires and an alignment or the use of Equal made that problem go away. I just don't know which was the reason my tire wear issue never reappeared.

Thanks everyone for all the info. Plan of action is as follows...

Going to take the coach in for tire balancing/equal, and check the valve stems and replace with extensions necessary that will fit new TPMS (Pressure Pro). Swich out tags with outside drive axle tires. Have all tires aired up to 100psi, then weigh the coach. Will then air up to desired pressure. Should know if this has solved the problem within 5000 miles or sooner. If problem persists, will then take a look at the tag alignment and air release/fill for the tag axle.

Wish me luck!

I notice you said ballancing/equal, make sure you can use the pressure pro transmitters with tires useing equal. I had equal in my last set and when I got my new tires, I had them ballanced by Prevost with wheel weights.

Ohio, Florida and Walmart parking lots around the country

Curtis, I found the exact same problem. I am very careful about air pressure and always keep 105 in the tag. I found this wear just a few weeks ago when getting an engine service at Prevost nashville. The even thought the wear was strange and the tech told me he has never seen that kind of wear. I am getting the same wear on the drive side tag and the passenger tag. Anything you find out please let me know
    Mike and Dianna Parsons
    2001 45ft. XL11 by Royale
    Towing a 2009 Harley Ultra Classic

This is a classic low pressure decription of wear. I would increase the tag pressure to a minimum of 100, and increase the drives and steer accordingly. I'm curious, what brand of tire do you own? Michelin, Firestone and BF Goodrich are notorious for heavy shoulder wear when under inflated. Bandag has receiently developed a 'scuff resistant' retread compound that we have had really good success with. Perhaps when your wear reaches replacement level, you might consider having your tags recapped.