Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re: Internet on the road

So far, I've been very pleased with our Cradlepoint router and Verizon air card. Although we do not have an amplifier or external antenna, I have not had any issues connecting to the internet albeit sometimes at speeds slower than I would have liked.

I'm also looking at the new Verizon 4G air card. Should be a fairly dramatic improvement in speed but their 4G service is not yet fully deployed beyond most major cities and airports according to our local office. They expect 4G service here in Port Saint Lucie sometime during the first quarter of 2011.

I use an Bury cradle for my Iphone 4, Wilson amp and the antenna that was on the coach from the factory. Amazing difference in the signal strength. Combine the Iphone with an over the ear headset and I get great cell coverage. Note on the Bury, the dock designed for the first Iphone works with the Iphone 4. The Iphone 3 dock did not fit the Iphone 4 and I was please to see the new phone fit fine in the older model I had in the bus.

I can get my email on the phone but we go use air cards to make the laptop's go. We have two both ATT cards and I am happy with the performance. We need two as I often leave Dee in the coach to work while I visit my few remaining clients.

Rodger, I am using the Blackberry Torch. Rings loud and has a large digital number clock face option.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

We prefer the Mifi and have not had any issues with connectivity. We bring it everywhere with us in and out of the bus, like the beach, pool, hotels it is just extremely convenient and highly portable. It is also nice that up to 5 people can connect to it.

Some of the terms kicked around are understandable, but it wuld be nice if everyone took a minute to explain the term they are using so as to allow everyone the opportunty to share and understand. The technology for cell phones and cell sites is constantly changing with upgrades and higher upload and down load speeds for cell phone connections. These new changes come with new terms so please take a minute to explain what you have and why. I have a Blackberry cell phone & Internet connetion which I use for e-mail primarily. I can also connect my cell phone to my computer to allow my computer internet connection. This is I believe 'teathering". This is instead of purchasing a Verizon Card. That's as much as I currently know.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

AprilWhine Guest

Gary, I can demo tethering and dongle both with and without a router at the mini POG if you like. I currently tether a Droid phone and still have my old system, a USB modem (dongle) that can attach to either my computer or a Cradlepoint router to share the connection wirelessly.

Cheers, Sherry

There you go with the foreign language again.

I freely admit a lack of technical understanding and I am just happy to be able to send an email or post on the forum. My cell phone can only do one thing and that is ring and allow me to talk. No text, camera, voice mail or anything else.

So when terms like droid and tethering and router are thrown around I don't have a clue. What may be an old system to you and others is so far beyond what I have I am lost.

I would like someone to start an explaination of what it takes by citing costs also. I have no laptop, but if connecting while on the road was both fast and cheap I might be tempted, but last time I did anything like that using a Verizon connected laptop at a Verizon store the speeds were so slow it was insane, especially when I considered what they charged for the access. They also wouldn't or couldn't tell me what their limits meant in terms of usage. I have no idea how many gigs or bytes I use here at home so I don't know if I exceed their limit. For us and the occasional trips we can easily ignore the computer for a week or more as we will do next week. I still use Windows XP.

I'll show you a couple ways to connect while at TGO and will go with you to buy your Laptop and the latest copy of the Lennon Sisters!

I'll bet my idol Lawrence didn't text or join Facebook. He got along perfectly fine. Ah one and ah two.......

Gary you have accurately described tethering as I am using it. It won't work for everybody, but for those of us who just primarily need the ability to access and respond to emails with attached files while on the road it works well.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4