Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Re: Internet on the road

Sherry,

Keep in mind Jon's current phone has two tin cans and string and he still keep quarters in his little change purse for the occasional pay phone!

AprilWhine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Then what is the deal with tethering? If the cost is as much as an air card what is the advantage. Similarly, I see emails sent from phones all the time. Do those cost $70 a month just to be able to do that as opposed to $40 or so per month?

If I want to get on line when we travel (not sure about that, it's nice to not have phones ring or to feel compelled to get on the computer) I would only do it to get on the POG forum and answer emails. Wouldn't a phone work?
    Tethering just lets you use your full computer. Yes, you can do most everything through the phone but I'm just not that fast at typing with the chicklet keyboard. Yes, the phones do cost $70/mo as opposed to $50/mo for the aircard but you would probably still need the phone with the aircard for voice calls. So really, you're looking at either phone + aircard = $40 + $50 = $90/mo with 5 g data or a smart phone for $70/mo with unlimited data.

As for using it, one of the handiest things we do is use it to find places to stop. There is an online searchable database for free places to park overnight at Overnight RV Parking, I check for spots along our route when Fuzzy decides it's time to stop. If we want a park, I check the RV park review website for locations along the route that aren't dumps. I have both of our phones set up to give weather alerts, so we won't drive into a hazardous weather condition unaware. Course, that didn't help much when the tornado almost got us, but that's another story.

AprilWhine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Sherry,

Keep in mind Jon's current phone has two tin cans and string and he still keep quarters in his little change purse for the occasional pay phone!
    Good, it won't cost him much to upgrade.

Fuzzy said to say "even Jim can work the Droid" but I would never say that about him.

Sherry, I don't think Verizon actually has the IPhone yet ? They have the IPad which I have and love it, in fact I can't wait till the new 4G IPhone comes out, but I don't want AT & T service, and will only upgrade my current BlackBerry Storm to the IPhone when it is availalbe @ Verizon.

There is a BIG announcement tomorrow in Vegas from Verizon, but NOBODY know what exactly the announcment is.

I had a special AutoNet Mobile router with an external antenna, put in our bus during the POG IX rally. Boy does it work great. http://www.autonetmobile.com/ Got rid of the Verizon Air Card $ 65.00 month service fee, and once the purchase is made of this router, your monthly is ONLY $ 20.00 a month for WiFi in the bus. And it searches for the best signal for you to use, no matter which service it is. Verizon, AT&T, or anyother provider that offers wireless service.

For more information or to see if I am lying to you or not contact a fellow Pogger, Gary Swaim sales@customcoachconnection.com . Tell him I sent ya !

Gary S.

AprilWhine Guest

You are correct about the iPhone Gary, smart money is that it will be announced tomorrow and will be available in early Feb. As for your system, I'm very happy with the Droid tethered with PDANet and am not interested in an unknown alternative. I KNOW my Droid is unlimited data.

Checked the link to Autonet Mobile, it would be great for a light user:

The Service

Not only do we provide the router you need to connect to the internet while in the car, but we also provide the monthly service. Autonet Mobile's patented technology allows for uninterrupted connectivity while the car is in motion. Our router runs over both 3G and 2.5G cellular data networks to give you broadband speed and expansive coverage over the United States. CLICK HERE to see Autonet Mobile's coverage map.

Autonet Mobile has two monthly data plans to accommodate your needs. Our $29 monthly plan includes 1GB of data per month, and our $59 plan includes 5GB of data per month. See our chart below to find out what plan is best for you.
    But since Fuzzy and I were having trouble staying under 5gb EACH, it's not for us. Thanks for the alternative though. Jon, this might be a very good option for you.
    Last edited by AprilWhine; 01-06-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: added info

I used to be a EE but this is all some kind of ASIAN language.

When you get it so Jon can understand this hopefully he can explain it to me.

We are going to do our ultimate circumnav of the US and we must have something that will keep us attached.

All understandable help will be appreciated.

Truk says he can teach me. I'm going to put him to the test.

However, I am sick of technical gizmos having a useful life span somewhat equal to that of a gnat. I have had to replace several items in the last year that were no longer supported because they were old. One constant theme running through this thread is upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.

We might spend 30 to 45 days annually in the coach. I have to look that up. My point is what I need to determine is if the Lewbucks (old POG members know about Lewbucks) spent are worth the hassle of being "connected" and in six months having an outdated system. I remember back in the old days when I got along quite nicely without the internet, a cell phone or even Direct TV. I still can.

AprilWhine Guest

Jon, sounds to me like all you really need is a netbook/small laptop that you can take to a local free wifi spot. Take it into McDonald's or Starbucks and check your email on their free wifi and you're done. I'm still using a laptop I bought in 2007, a dinosaur in tech years, and have no problems. You can get many years service out of a netbook.