Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie, help appreciated

Default Newbie, help appreciated

I just joined the forum and would appreciate some assistance regarding Prevost Coaches. I'm interested in a 2006 to 2007 as my first Prevost (upgrading from current Fleetwood). I've done some research and some folks have indicated the Prevost is under powered. I'm also looking for a coach to drive much better in windy conditions than my current Fleetwood. I've also seen where there are several Prevost coach conversion companies (Liberty, Marathon, and so on). So my questions are for the 2006 to 2007 model year Prevosts:
    1. Is the 515 to 525 hp engine adequate for the coach?
    2. Does the Prevost drive as well or better than say a 06/07 Newell or 2010 Foretravel?
    3. Please explain the differences in the Prevost Coach conversion companies or at least the largest 3.

Any assistance is certainly appreciated,

Tommy

1 The Detroit Diesel is a 14 Liter and I gross 71,000 with a trailer and it is more than adequate
    2 I recently had a Nascar coach driver visit to look at my trailer and he stated that the last coach that they had before the Prevost was a Newell and the Newell would wear you out in 8 hours
    3 There is really no need to explain just buy the best a LIBERTY!!!

Welcome Tommy. Very good questions,
    Regarding HP, the Detroit Engine with the Allison Transmission is the best. Strong Torque and the low RPM.
    Hands down, Prevost has an uncomparable ride.
    I have a Liberty so its all I know. It's great.

I have owned several different plastic Coaches. Prevost is in a league of its own.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Tommy,
    I use my bus a lot and travel about 25-30 thousand miles a year and believe me there is no better ride on the market! I can drive 700 miles in a day and still go on except the wife she wants to stop. I drive the 40 from Ca.-Tx. and believe me I know wind driving and no problem in a bus that weighs 53,000 lbs. As far as the Newell goes it's a great park model. You don't see very many on the road. My best friend has a Newell and wish he bought a Prevost. My two cents take your time and ask a lot of questions and look at the buses that the sponsors of POG have for sale. You couldn't pick a better time to buy than now. There is such a great selection of late model coaches on the market. Go an get the one you want and start to a whole new ride

Welcome to the asylum. I guess based on the questions you assume we know what we are talking about. Please correct that impression. We will always answer your questions, and on certain rare occasions we actually get one right.

Here are my answers, followed by some questions:

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Personal Choice

Here are may questions as relates to your questions:

1: Are you suggesting after your Fleetwood experience that perhaps a Prevost will not keep up?
    2. They handle very well, track straight and handle the winds nicely. But these are not race cars and need to be recognized as having the potential to get you in serious trouble like any vehicle you push to the limit (see #1 above). You can go a lot faster than you can stop.
    3. Since mostly Liberty guys are awake, I will echo what they said. Just go buy a Liberty. Everybody else that wishes they had a Liberty will chime in soon, but consider their posts as envy.

Just yesterday, the family and I returned from Oklahoma towing our 5000 lb GX470. We were bucking a very gusty 25 mph headwind and I was amazed at how well the coach burned a hole in it with the cruise set at 68 mph. Solid as a rock and the only thing I had to watch for was tractor trailers blowing around in the wind. That is with the 500 HP copy of the DD.

It is not a racing machine and will probably lose off the start line to a 625 HP Cummins or Cat equipped glass coach, but it is way adequate and much, much more stable in the wind. I would say many of those coaches are overpowered to be honest rather than the other way around.

DD's have quite the reputation in my line of work (oilfield) as bullet proof. If a roughneck can't tear it up, we are very unlikely to.

Thanks all for the replies. I have done some research and do think that sacrificing a little speed "off the line" is way better than sacrificing driveability in the wind. So I'm dialed in now on an aluminum sided Prevost in the 06 / 07 range. Some mentioned there are some POG members with some for sale. Is there a specific forum for this or are they refering to the prevost-stuff.com website? Thanks all and I look forward to joining the "club". Tommy

This is a pretty savvy crowd and collectively this group probably can find out or figure out the condition of a lot of the coaches in the market. Because there are limited number of Prevost owners on the planet those of us that have a Prevost also know who in Prevost land might have one for sale and who we can deal with.

If I were you I would go down our sponsor list and start your search by dealing with them. I am not suggesting them because they happen to be on this site, but because every sponsor on this site knows the Prevost coach intimately. When seeking a coach if you can get good accurate information you are further ahead than if you deal with a guy trying to sell his first Prevost and who makes stuff up as he goes along. I'm not going to name names, but I can assure you our sponsors who are in the business of selling Prevost Coaches are going to be straight shooters.

Yes Prevost -Stuff is a good start for your search, but if you read some of the posts here such as Colorado bus posted earlier you will see some opportunities that are not yet on the open market.

If there are POG members with a coach for sale you should check your email or PM's They read these posts and will be in touch.

I'm really curious because of your focus on HP and speed....just how fast are you planning to go? You do realize these are RECREATIONAL vehicles right?

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to POG! Bob and I are two of the earliest members and we have watched in amazement as our group has grown. We have had the pleasure of meeting some extraordinary people and look forward to meeting you as well.

We have a beautiful coach for sale, 2007 Legendary at Florida Luxury Coach. Here is the link if you would like to view some photos:

http://www.floridaluxurycoach.com/po...p?comments=267

Loc, I can hear you saying geez, what's that Bob up to now? Well, you never know it is really hard to keep up with Bob at times! Jon calls me an enabler and that is likely true when it comes to coaches, Roger just feels sorry for me, and Truk just shakes his head :-) If you would like to chat with Bob about the coach, please feel free to give us a call.

Debi and Bob

One thing about Bob is he is consistent.