Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delco 50DN to twin Bosch alternator conversion

The twin Bosch alternator setup was not used, to my knowledge, and ANY motorhome conversion units, but was used by Prevost on their seated bus units. The biggest issue with the Bosch alternators is that the voltage regulators are NON-ADJUSTABLE, so if your coach is equipped with either Gel or AGM batteries, and you drive more than 4-6 hours at a time, the batteries will end up OVERCHARGED, resulting in premature failure. There are a several alternator options that exist, which are also easier changes than the invasive bracket and pully system change as well, that you really should consider first. C E Niehoff offers a 350amp/24volt and a 500amp/24volt alternator that fit right in the existing Saddle Mount, and there is a company called Penn Tex, model PX-833, which is basically a reengineered 50dn, that has been converted to air cooling, had the diode pack replaced with higher efficiency heat sink, and the overall resulting product is rated at 330amps/24volt. Personally, I am partial to the C E Niehoff alternators, with which I have had experience, however industrial customers who have used the PennTex product speak very highly of them as well. Both of these options offer newer technology brushless design, and unlike the Prevost Twin Bosch changeout, they both use the existing pully, bracket, and belt system with few modifications being needed, and also, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, offer adjustable voltage regulators to prevent House Battery damage. Hope this information helps.

PennTex Alternator: http://www.penntexusa.com/PX-8a.htm

C E Niehoff: http://www.ceniehoff.com/product.asp_Q_catID_E_145

Sincerely,
    Ben @ Coach Worx
    Last edited by BenC; 01-03-2011 at 08:52 AM.

With increased output, if a change is made make sure the existing wiring and cables are sized to carry the potential load.

I can envision a 350 or 500 amp alternator being asked to run a couple of AC units, the normal house stuff such as the fridge and TVs plus charge batteries that were drained from dry camping all night. The alternator output may prove more than adequate, but the wires and cables may not be.

Ben,You brought up a great point about overcharging AGM or gels with the coach alternator,what voltage would you think would be a happy medium to charge the lead acid coach batteries and the AGM house batteries?

Thanks, Ben...that's EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for.