Thread: Insurance savings and memory issues

Default Insurance savings and memory issues

To save some dough I delete running coverage on some of my vehicles when not in use. I have a few cars, boats and the coach. My agent actually suggested it a couple of years ago. Knowing that I don't drive some of my cars in the winter and that we use the coach mainly for holidays she suggested changing from full coverage to fire and theft only when the vehicles would be in storage. Perfect, a couple of phone calls a year and I'm up 2k (2k buys a lot of Johnnie Walker you know).

Last March after returning from a 5 week tour I gave my broker a call, knowing that we wouldn't be using the coach for a while I thought I would remove the liability coverage. I called my broker and told her I would like to make some changes to the coverage on my coach, she then asked if I would like to ADD liability insurance!!!.. After the ringing in my head stopped and my pulse slowed I simply said that I wanted to check coverage amounts.

Wow! I had just traveled 5400 miles with no insurance. You know your lucky when............

I now hang a tag on the keys when the insurance is removed.

I thought about the great savings by taking the approach suggested by your agent and mine; but found out if someone stole any of my vehicles from my "secured" indoor storage facilities, I would be at risk if a liability issue were to ocuur...and yes I would probable forget to have the liability coverage added back when it was time to use the vehicles again.

Interesting... In Georgia the DMV is all electronic now and if your Liability coverage is canceled, you are notified of a fine or cancellation of the tag.

Tom,

I believe it's the same in Florida. I know it was in New Jersey. You couldn't have a current registration without minimum liability insurance. If you cancelled your insurance, they terminated your vehicle registration.

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Interesting... In Georgia the DMV is all electronic now and if your Liability coverage is canceled, you are notified of a fine or cancellation of the tag.
    Tom is right. Last year, my insurance company had mistakenly put the wrong VIN # on their records and, therefore Georgia did not have record of insurance coverage for our bus. I got a letter saying our tag registration had been suspended pending insurance coverage. Not knowing why the DMV did not have record of our insurance coverage, I went to the tag office with my current policy in hand, ready for battle. The nice lady at the tag office showed me that the VIN on the policy did not match what was on the DMV records. I called the insurance company right there from my cell phone and got the problem corrected on the spot. Ya gotta love the electronic age!