Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Serious Tire Experience Please Read

Hello All,

After reading this thread I understand I need to take precautions. Please clarify if this is correct. I have ordered the following from Myers 1) Inflation gauge with hose part 54930, 2) 25 foot extension hose and 3) Clip on air chuck.

I am assuming when I get these, air tank placed 25 feet away, air chuck clipped to tire then air up tire. Correct? I would assume it is fine to check the tire pressure with a gauge next to the tire as there should not be a safety issue with this? In an earlier it was said to order a few chip on chucks. Is this needed? Or is one fine.

Thanks everyone!!

Are you going to be mounting your own tires? If not, there's no safety concerns with doing routine inflation checks and adding adding air while standing at the tire. If you are doing your own tire mounting the tire and wheel should be caged before inflating. Tire explosions as a result of mounting are no where near as frequent or as deadly as they were in the split rim days, but it still happens occasionally. Again, the safety precautions are solely for tire installations although some might argue the precautions apply to flat were the tire bead has broken.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Hi Gil,

I am confused. The whole basis of this thread is that a POG member was just airing up tires in his garage. It was an inside drive tire and that probably saved his life.

I guess you can never be too safe. I'm not aware of any truck tire place that airs up a tire that's a few pounds low with this level of safety. I guess the lesson here is that when in doubt, call a road service. The tire that failed had a zipper failure that you may have read about in one of the references. It's not likely to be a manufacturing flaw given the tire wasn't new. Of course, anything is possible. What was known was that the tire was flat some time before the incident and a valve stem extension was replaced. Also know is that it was flat again just prior to the explosion. If you don't know for sure that the tire was properly inflated prior to being parked and later discovered to be flat, you might want to call a road service. If the tires was ran at extremely low pressure it could explain what happened. I'm not suggesting that to be the case. I'm simply saying if you don't know, have it checked by a professional. In fact, it should probably be dismounted to inspect the internal sidewalls.

Yes, this was bad situation were someone got hurt. I certainly don't want to downplay what happened. I just have never seen professionals take the safety measures suggested.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion