Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Serious Tire Experience Please Read

I had a tire company come out and turn the two outside drive valve stems. It rook lesss than hour to complete both tires turn stems fill and remount. Not a big deal. Not sure why they all face in, there must be a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dmatz View Post
    I had a tire company come out and turn the two outside drive valve stems. It rook lesss than hour to complete both tires turn stems fill and remount. Not a big deal. Not sure why they all face in, there must be a reason.
    The stems all face the same way so that the tire can be used in any position without turning the stem.

Lee, You need to understand that POG members rotate the valve stems and add extensions so the big black sensor caps can be installed on the valve stems. It gives me the shakes to think about how some valve stems with extensions and caps are flexing while the tires are spinning but I don't know of another way those type sensors can be installed. The outer dual has the stem rotated 180 degrees so the cap which is quite large can be installed. Trying to install it while the stem points through the hole in the wheel is not practical

Your buses and mine likely have standard stems with no extensions and we just reach them with a long, straight chuck.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Lee, You need to understand that POG members rotate the valve stems and add extensions so the big black sensor caps can be installed on the valve stems. It gives me the shakes to think about how some valve stems with extensions and caps are flexing while the tires are spinning but I don't know of another way those type sensors can be installed. The outer dual has the stem rotated 180 degrees so the cap which is quite large can be installed. Trying to install it while the stem points through the hole in the wheel is not practical

Your buses and mine likely have standard stems with no extensions and we just reach them with a long, straight chuck.

Jon

My answer was in response to the question as to why all the stems face the same way. From the center of the rim to the mounting surface. I spooned tires on and off when I was a apprentice and the stems always face the same way so that no matter where the flat is the wheel can be fitted once.

If I were to install external tire pressure monitors on the outside dual of my coach they would be mounted on stubby stems. In fact if interchangeability is not a concern short stems could be used on all outside duals. This would make checking pressure and airing much easier.

On your model coach you have an aluminum inner dual on the drive so theoretically any wheel can go at any position.

On later model buses when the wheels went from 8.25 to 9.00 the inner dual was a steel Budd wheel so now not all wheels are acceptable for all positions.

AprilWhine Guest

Just ordered the Milton safety tire inflator this morning. Amazon was the solution for me, as I have no in with commercial tool suppliers. I feel much better with 15 feet between me and the tire. Link for the curious.

http://www.amazon.com/Milton-98-A1-5...4337264&sr=8-4

Sir:

You are one of the smart ones for ordering a device to stand clear !! Be sure you purchase a locking chuck and additional hose to meet the 25 ft requirement. Dont forget the OSHA approved eye protection and a set of David Clark hearing protectors. I continue to suffer with the after effects from my event. The Dr. told me Wednesday I have post concusion syndrome along with barotrauma. The post concusion syndrome recovery time can be up to one year. The ENT Doctors at Scott & White in Temple, Texas tell me two years for the ears to heal. This is not a fast recovery. So far 10 Doctor visits 3 ER visits. Needless to say our traveling is on hold ! Guys spend the small amount of money and get set up safely to deal with your tires !!! It is not worth the chance of going thru this.

AprilWhine Guest

Thanks for the reminder about the length Bill. I will extend the hose. The Milton safety setup includes a self latching chuck, it will remain to be seen how well it works. If I am not happy with it, I will investigate the newer locking valve stems that are available now. Looking at my car hauler yesterday, I have it slated to use the safety inflater set up with it also. ST trailer tires don't have the best reputation.

I checked online for tire failures, they are not that common, but the injuries are severe to fatal. A tire shop installed a new tire on a rim, using a cage, left the assembly in the safety cage for 2 hours. The driver removed the assembly from the cage and checked the tire pressure, and the tire exploded. No inflation, just handling.

I totally relate to your trauma. Several years ago I fell and suffered a concussion, took perscription seasick medicine for 6 months so that I could walk a straight line. I hope your recovery is rapid.

Jim

I wanted to provide a update this morning on my on going experience after the tire explosion.
    What I really want to do is to remind everyone to get set up to air up your tires 25 feet away. I dont sell or have anything to do with the tire eqpt. nor do I have a axe to grind with the tire mfgs..

Here is were I am now.
    After being overdosed with predisone around Christmas that set me back at least 30 days. That took around 3 trips to the ER to get that one worked out. Being overdosed I had to get off predisone cold turkey which is another experience we want go into here. Next up was a 6 hour trip one way to Scott & White Hospital in Temple , Texas for additional hearing exams. They determined I have 100% in my left ear and 90% in my right ear. The doctors were amazed and so was I to say the least. I have slight tinnitus in my right ear which they will began treatment for Wednesday at Calliers Center a division of The Univ. of Texas Health Science Center Wednesday in Dallas, Texas. That will go on for 4 months to 2 years.
    The next thing they discovered is I have post concussion syndrome which takes 6 months to 1 year to recover from with medication. Full ear recovery or I should say as good as it will ever be will take two years according to the head of Scott & White ENT Department. I am in pain most of the day with headaches, stuffy ears, nausea and tinnitus in the right ear.
    I am lucky as we have insurance to cover all this mess.
    The bus is now sold and our travel plans are scrubbed for now.

So after reading this short update ask yourself is it worth buying the proper safety eqpt.?

Default Bus sold but New POG member to be added soon !

I do want to add the new owner of my 2001 Liberty will be joining POG. We told him what a great group this is and how much fun we had at Kerrville. He and his wife are great people. I want divulge the new owner as that is his business. He and his wife will be great members. He has great technicial knowledge of the Series 60 Detroit.