Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Serious Tire Experience Please Read

Looking at the amount of damage to Bill's fender shirts I think the 6-8 hose extension is the safest procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Price View Post
    Guys I am sorry I am not a better report writer. LOL I do appreciate your additional comments and thoughts.
    Maybe this will help. I do want to keep investigating this for safety. There has to be a reasonable answer.
    While in Kerrville I had a flat on the inside port dual. The tire people came out and found a leaking valve stem extension. THEY changed such and all was well. I did not have an extra extension or I would have changed both at that time. At that point all was well. I did maintain extra tire vigilance on the trip home just in case. Upon returning home I ordered extra extensions and rubber stabilizers from Prevost. After being home a few weeks I noticed the addditional flat. How long had it been flat I cant say? I am in the bus barn daily but i truthfully just cant say when the tire went flat.
    I cannot point blame at the TPMS because the system had been setting there for weeks in sleep mode. Again on the trip home from Kerrville I would say we had a flawless event. I agree with Jon about ditching the extensions. Now how can I get a locking chuck in place to add air?

Of additional interest the tire being returned from Michelin should arrive here next week. Does anyone have any ideas from this point?
    Bill, when did you find that flat and how or why. What is important to know is did you drive on the flat tire!

Exclamation HEAVY VEHICLE TIRE BLOWOUT pdf

Jim:

I found the tire flat in my building approx three weeks after the POG Rally. I noticed it by the bulging outside dual. The coach was not driven on a low or flat tire since I have owned it.

As I bought the coach used I dont have a complete history of the tires. I think we would be accurate to say we have only two piecies of reliable evidence.

1. We do have a DOT tire date.

2. We know that since I have owned the coach the tires have never been driven low.

I check the tires each day while we are traveling. A Snap On digital tire gauge is used for this procedure.

I have Commercial, Instrument, multi-engine and commercial rotary wing ratings. The bus is pre-flighted daily while we are on the road. I take nothing for granted mechanically from my aviation background. I feel the preflight is most important for safety. Not to mention what this could save in uncesssary repairs.

I hope I answered some of your questions.

Jim I keep returning to the following:

1. Remain a minimum of 25 ft. from the tire.

2. Consider trajectory in case of a explosion

3. Wear OSHA approved impact resistant eye protection

4. Wear OSHA approved hearing protection

I am certainly open to suggestions.

Today I return to the Eye, Nose and Throat Dr for additional test. I am now up to three Er visits, and at least 5 regular Dr visits. The meds have been about as bad as the accident. I would much more enjoy being home today polishing on the bus!!

Greg and Huong:

@5 feet it the minimum safe distance. I had found that information on the www but sorry to say I did not save it in my favorites. However I do remember 25 ft as being the minimum safe distance.

That first number should read.

25 feet

I think this would be a way to fill a tire from 20 feet away that could be kept on the coach?

http://www.myerstiresupply.com/shop/...Mount-Inflator

Each to his own devices, but if I have a tire completly flat or even close to it, I'm calling road service knowing that I'm most likely going to need a new tire! I'll not try to air it up on the bus!

Mike:

You certainely have my vote!! There are just those few times we dont have those luxurys.

I do agree; call road svc if at all possible.

I am looking at a clip on type air chuck and am wondering how I can use the angle to attache to my outside dual, since the stem is inside the wheel. What does it take to move the stem from that position to say, north/south so that it would be infinetly easier to add air.