I guess you can never be too safe. I'm not aware of any truck tire place that airs up a tire that's a few pounds low with this level of safety. I guess the lesson here is that when in doubt, call a road service. The tire that failed had a zipper failure that you may have read about in one of the references. It's not likely to be a manufacturing flaw given the tire wasn't new. Of course, anything is possible. What was known was that the tire was flat some time before the incident and a valve stem extension was replaced. Also know is that it was flat again just prior to the explosion. If you don't know for sure that the tire was properly inflated prior to being parked and later discovered to be flat, you might want to call a road service. If the tires was ran at extremely low pressure it could explain what happened. I'm not suggesting that to be the case. I'm simply saying if you don't know, have it checked by a professional. In fact, it should probably be dismounted to inspect the internal sidewalls.

Yes, this was bad situation were someone got hurt. I certainly don't want to downplay what happened. I just have never seen professionals take the safety measures suggested.