Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for XL

Default Looking for XL

Finding the right coach is proving to be more challenging than I thought and I expected a challenge. When we find something we like the seller is unrealistic in their pricing. Coaches that we aren't exactly drawn to are priced aggressively. On top of that finding an 01-03 bunk coach is tough so we've thrown in the towel and ready to put the kids in the wardrobe in the rear - which might work out for the best anyway.

We're really drawn to Marathon coaches as they seem to be about the only converter that was putting girard awnings on the coach at that time however most interiors don't have an "organic" feel to them. They are presented in a more formal style - which is appreciated but not really what we'd like to have for traveling.

If anyone gets a line on an 01-02 45xl w/ single or double slides w/ large wardrobe, girard and prefer a twin couch/ booth dinette.

Shoot me a PM>

All the best,

You need to talk to Jim or Chris. (Colorado Bus) They have really churned that market and I'll bet they can give you some insight.

And our Sponsors. The ones that sell. They work hard for us.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Reminds me of the day I found my 01 Marathon bunk coach, seller wanted to much! Only 4 made and I just had to have one, and I never look back!

I have seen a few Coaches with a hall walk in closet which can be converted to bunks. Also, you can trade out certain furniture lay outs for what you like. Thereare several sponsors on POG who can make the changes.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

As Jon said above, we have "churned" the market. We learned that Marathons with the large hall closet were designed specifically for bunks to be put in easly. all ducting, wiring etc was placed as such not to interfere with bunkbed installation.
    Have you seen Marathon coach 815, which has bunks. it does have 167,000 miles on it. Marathon coach 829 has the large closet and is agressively being advertised as bunnk ready.these are on Marathons' site. then there is 1020 Stay away from Marathon Coach 673 which has bunks, wood flooring, patio girard, slab granite everywhere. It is an absolutely spectacular coach in every way right down to what the DANG thing WEIGHS. Last month, we went to Beaumont, picked it apart, and they even let us weigh after warning us it was overweight. With 24% water out of 207 gallons, 1/3 tank fuel out of 235, not much else. Coach weighed in at 52,880. the front axle which was carrying a single HWH slideroom with sinking floor,and an under belly outside kitchen weighed in at 18,380lbs with 315X80X22.5 Energy Michelins that carry a max of 9,090lbs. If it came down to us buying it, Marathon would have bowed out let us deal with owner directly since they wouldn't sell as it sits. They would have removed at a minimum the outside pull out kitchen estimated to weigh 1500lb.
    Also, coach 777 weighs alot. We have started to look at newer Evntertainer coach with 3 bunks where we could remove 2 use the space for storage.
    One thing, you may think Girards are great, but wind a gust of wind strikes, they retract only so fast, and can't get in fast enough and not get blown over the coach. At best an Air-Electric or manual one is best, since when deployed tha framing stance is a triangle shape that holds up better in the wind gust. They aren't perfect, but IMHO a bit more robust.
    Not being extreme slideroom fans, we have also learned a double slide maybe lighter on the front axle just because the bedroom slide weight counters some of the weight of the front slide off the front axle.
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 12-22-2010 at 12:55 AM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Just a comment........there seems to be a concern or maybe a fear about mileage on our coaches. In my opinion it doesn't matter if a coach has 167,000 miles on it if it was maintained. It may be a better coach than one that has 67,000 miles on it and it sat in one spot a lot of the time.

When the mileage crosses 500,000 or more then it starts to become an issue, but I see trucks that have passed the 1,000,000 mark and are still in everyday use.

During our recent service visit to Prevost in Jacksonville, we noticed that they had several used buses for sale that looked to be in great shape. Mileage ranged from 300K to more than 500k.

No one at Prevost considered them to be "high" mileage coaches. If you didn't check the odometer, you would never have guessed that these coaches had traveled as many miles. Jon is right on the money. It is all about the way they were taken care of and maintained.

That's the big difference between commercial buyers and private buyers. I bought many trucks back in the day with 500K on the clock and never batted an eye. With a private bus, the buyer gets a deal if the miles are deemed to be high, a wimpy 200K, and when he sells, he has the same problem in reverse.

I'll take Jon's high mileage Liberty any day!

OK, I just mentioned the mileage of Coach 815,since it has been used as an Entertainer coach and is owned by the same outfit that Kevin bought his 704 from.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40