Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel Economy ?

I checked out my Exaust. Its blanketed. Thanks Liberty.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by antioch01 View Post
    Lee,
    I have been looking for a quality wrap for my exhaust and turbo. do you know the manufacturer of yours ?

Robert Johnson
    92' Liberty 8V92
    Robert

I cant help you with the brand of my exhaust wrap. My coach is nice and warm in Tampa, while I freeze here in Ontario.

I can tell you that I believe it was installed by Liberty when the coach was new. It does have identification tags on it. It has held up well for 130k miles. I will return to Florida in late January and will drop you a line at that time, but I am sure that someone on the forum will answer you long before that.

Exhaust wraps play an important role in minimizing the heat radiated into the engine area for both the generator and the bus engine. But there is a downside and that downside needs to be taken seriously.

Our exhaust system can corrode and leak exhaust. That exhaust can get into the coach and I am sure none of us wants carbon monoxide poisoning or a coach interior that has diesel soot coating everything.

The solution is to be vigilant. When checking fluids include a close look at the exhaust wrap in your inspection. It only takes minutes or less. Look for black stains or a coating of soot where it has never been seen. Use a flashlight or a mirror with a long handle if necessary, but make it a point to do the inspection.

Our generator exhaust uses a flexible pipe so those generators that are on slides can move. Those flexible exhausts are particularly prone to failure. The engine exhausts on the 8V92 and the Series 60 go forward and then down. They are out of reach and the forward side is out of sight. Any time someone is beneath the coach for service include inspecting the part that cannot be seen in the list of tasks. The turbo inlet pipes on the 8V92 rarely give any warning before failure, but when they do fail it is almost always at the connection ends. Pay very close attention to the areas around the connections to the exhaust manifold or the turbo inlet "Y" and if any cracks are noted failure is imminent. On the 8V92 it should also be understood that the cast iron exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking, especially at the ears near the back of the engine, or have exhaust manifold gaskets blow out. Those are not likely going to be wrapped, but should be scrutinized.

None of these inspections takes much time, and early detection of sooting catches problems before they really have a serious affect.

Default Flying J

I didn't know where else to put this little bit of information. So I am putting it here.

http://www.frequentfueleradvantage.com/

" Visit www.frequentfueleradvantage.com for details and to regsiter your card today! "

Gary S.