Thread: Another kind of lift

Hybrid View

I have a lift built buy Over Bilt Lifts Co. that uses 2 additional receivers for the hitch, so this may help with the load as Jon has stated. The 8" is correct. I have not used the lift, when I bought the bus the owner gave it to me. He use to carry a full dress Harley on it plus a Suburban toad. The company is still in business and has some neat products. (overbuiltlifts.com) 1-866-382-1369

Charles, What exactly do you think those 2 additional receivers are attached to? If your answer is the engine cradle you would be correct.

Look carefully for cracks if it was used. There is a "belt" just above the coolant and oil tank doors going across the real. Look for cracks around that belt. Also look closely at the rivets up the sides and across the top.

I wouldn't worry about the Suburban because it likely had a regular tow bar so it wasn't imposing a load on the receiver except for pulling.

Thanks. I will take a closer look to see if there is any evidence of over weight. Your right about the engine cradle, thought maybe the over built may have been installed differently. I have not seen any thing wrong along the molding above the two doors but will look very close soon. Thanks

I'm not going to mention names or describe the coaches, but I have seen several coaches that have had excessive tongue weight at one time. The cracks I mention are difficult to see, but they are there. Whether it results in permanent damage beyond the cracks I cannot answer, but obviously something has happened because coaches that have never had excessive tongue weight do not show any cracks.