Thread: BELT TENSIONER

Default BELT TENSIONER

Found a substantial leak emanating from the valve lever - leaks when on, doesn't when off.

My manuals have no info on this assembly - how does one re gasket this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can't tell much from the pic but I'll bet it's in the "toss it and buy a new one" category.

Ditto that. Some things aren't worth repairing. Especially when a $5 ball valve from Lowe's might work just as well.

Mine also has a check valve, which keeps the belts tight in the event the aux pressure drops with the engine off. My check valve was inop so I replaced mine at the same time I replaced the regulator.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Tad, I had that situation on my 85 8V92, and found that the cylinders that put the tension on the belts needed to be rebuilt. One or the other is most likely leaking air, allowing air to escape back to the atmosphere. You can get a kit to rebuild them, but I was told by Prevost that they would not last long after a rebuild. I rebuilt both of mine and they are still in service on that coach. When I rebuilt them, I rotated the brass canister 180 degrees and cleaned it on the inside with crocus cloth before re-assembly with the new O-rings.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

I agree with Pete.
    This is a three way valve. In one position it loads the belt tensioner's and in the other it unloads them. If the cylinders are leaking internally the leaking air returns to the valve and leaks out the exhaust side of the valve. I rebuilt both of my cylinders with kits from Prevost. The kits consist of some high elastomer o-rings and retaining clips. I also disassembled the valve, cleaned it and replaced the o-rings. The rebuilding is easy, if you need a hand contact me.