Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Coach????

Default American Coach????

Looking for input or experience w/ American Coach. Noticed there are currently (3) XL 40s on the market. I think for my intended use of mileage and very little lay over it will be a better fit if I should need to get turned around on some back two lane road out west.

Thank you for your help,

American is an orphan coach but a nice one well built. Several of our POG members have American .
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

American Coach made a good product. They were located in Allen Michigan and I'd bet that if support was needed for one the folks at Pantera could handle it.

Not sure why 40 feet versus 45 makes a difference. I can say it is unlikely many of us would venture down narrow two lane roads from which we would have to make a 3 point turn to head back where we came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    American Coach made a good product. They were located in Allen Michigan and I'd bet that if support was needed for one the folks at Pantera could handle it.

Not sure why 40 feet versus 45 makes a difference. I can say it is unlikely many of us would venture down narrow two lane roads from which we would have to make a 3 point turn to head back where we came from.
    I'm assuming the turning radius is sharper on the 40 - however the lack of additional 5' may make all the difference on unfamiliar turnabouts.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

American made a very good product. I had one for several years, and a friend of mine still has it. Several years ago Buddy Gregg got the exclusive on American Coach, and like other exclusives he had, he put them out of business.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

gershwin,

I think that Gary Stevens has an American w/1 slide. It is a beautiful bus inside and outside; I have always admired the color scheme.

Wake up Gary - the newbie wants to know about American conversions. This is your chance to shine!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by gershwin View Post
    I'm assuming the turning radius is sharper on the 40 - however the lack of additional 5' may make all the difference on unfamiliar turnabouts.
    I would venture to say that for those of us that have had both 40 and 45 foot coaches that extra 5 feet is only noticeable from living inside the coach. I can't think of a single situation I have been in with my 45 footer that wouldn't have been equally challenging in my 40 footer. Where the 5 feet make a difference is in short campground sites. I will never go back to a 40 footer despite the fact my 45 footer is a pain in the butt getting it into the garage and working on it in the garage.

Tuga,

Did you really use "Gary" and "shine" in the same sentence????

Gershwin,

I was at California Coach on Monday and went through a really nice 40 double slide that was a 2006 (if I remember correctly). It was a great floor plan and very well done. Jon is right about the guys at Panterra Coach being able to help. While the manufacturer is out of business Panterra has great knowledge of the product and are great to work with. The 40 foot coach makes some state parks and national parks a possibility for camping where the 45 is too long for many (at least in Texas). The 40 foot is also great for California because you can avoid all the 45 foot restrictions and you don't risk being over length with a tow vehicle. Good luck in the search.

Loc
    Last edited by Loc; 12-08-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Loc View Post
    Tuga,

Did you really use "Gary" and "shine" in the same sentence????

Gershwin,

I was at California Coach on Monday and went through a really nice 40 double slide that was a 2006 (if I remember correctly). It was a great floor plan and very well done. Jon is right about the guys at Panterra Coach being able to help. While the manufacturer is out of business Panterra has great knowledge of the product and are great to work with. The 40 foot coach makes some state parks and national parks a possibility for camping where the 45 is too long for many (at least in Texas). The 40 foot is also great for California because you can avoid all the 45 foot restrictions and you don't risk being over length with a tow vehicle. Good luck in the search.

Loc
    Thanks folks:

Yes, I'm aware of the American @ Panterra and the one on the west coast @ Cal-Coach. Both fit the bill but really need twin sofa's to put the children on and prefer a booth to dinette which the Panterra coach is configured w/. Now, though you all have me thinking twice about 45 as I would prefer to hunt for a 45 w/ 2 bunks. I don't think I've ever seen a 40 w/ bunks and not even sure there is a large wardrobe closet that could be converted if a twin sofa option isn't available.

What state/fed parks restrict 45's - is there a link to a list that is comprehensive?

Thank you again,

Devin W Guest

When we were shopping we found that there were a lot more choices in 45' and prices were nearly the same, but my wife likes the beach and we found that many of the beach campgrounds in California restrict anything over 40ft. In fact, we found a few that won't take over 35'. I don't recall finding a master list, I just researched campsites individually in areas that I knew we would visit regularly. If that were not a factor, I'm sure we would have ended up in a 45' as the precautions you take driving with that extra 5 feet are not likely much different that with a 40'.