Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hummer H3 Alpha toad considerations

Hi Gary,
    I have a 2008 H2. I've had H2s since they first came out, and love them. I just bought my first Prevost, and want to tow it. Any tips you can pass on, I thank you for..

James A Holmes

We have a 2009 H3 Alpha and love it. No problems so far. This is my third hummer. I had a H2, H3 with the 5 cylinder and now the H3 Alpha. Run from the 5 cylinder engine unless you enjoy constant down shifting even on the slightest hills. That part will drive you crazy. Drive the H3 Alpha under 65 and the fuel mileage will be no problem. I use a Blue OX and the kit to not tie into the vehicles electrical system. It all works very well. There are rumors that GMC may pickup Hummer again in a few years. Time will tell.
    I would not accept anything but the Alpha in the Hummer line up.

James,

We tow an H2 and have since 2005. We previously towed a Grand Cherokee.

The difference in weight between the two is significant so I added a Brakemaster toad brake to the Hummer (something I could switch easily between the Hummer and my Dodge Ram pickup). I would urge you to make sure you use some type of braking for the H2. POG members have had great success with several.

We own an H2 and tow it for two reasons. This is my wife's vehicle and she likes the weight and protection it offers from the crazies on the road, and as a toad its length combined with the coach is under the 65 foot length limit in a lot of states. Towing is easy because once the transfer case is in neutral you can remove the key and it will roll freely (as long as you release the parking brake) and there is no steering wheel lock. The downside is it is heavy.

We, too, are looking at the Hunmer H3. Having previously towed a 2004 Chevy duramax Pickup, we know the ease at towing a GM 4X4 product..
    Those of you who have H3's, what sort of off road capability have you seen. We saw what JDUB did with his last fall in Kerrville, and he did quite well.. We have found a number of H3's with the rear Diff lock button on the center dash. We have learned 2009 and 2010 models CAN come with both the front and rear diff lock, with switch buttons on the center dash.
    Question, has anyone really needed the front diff lock to aid their 4 wheelin'? Or is the rear diff lock sufficient. I know the Hummer is no Rubicon, ( which we just sold)
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 05-05-2011 at 03:05 PM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Quote Originally Posted by Jasaholmes View Post
    Hi Gary, I have a 2008 H2. I've had H2s since they first came out, and love them. I just bought my first Prevost, and want to tow it. Any tips you can pass on, I thank you for.. James A Holmes
    James, I just love my 08 H2 Hummer. Much more than the H3 X Alpha I sold and towed previously. Even my wife Peg, likes this vehicle much more than the smaller H3. You will obviously be looking at tow bars, we went the Blue Ox Aventa ( 10K lb rated ) tow bar, the same Keyed locking pins all around, but even more important is the Air Force One toad braking system. You have quite a lot of weight with the H2 and the extra braking power needed is real obvious if you don't have an auxillary brake system. I believe the AF 1 is the ONLY unit that will work site unseen for Hummers. At least I think it is the only one. It is a great system, but needs professional installation. One more thing be sure and get the Brake and Turn signal Light system that does not hook into your Hummer electrical. They are seperate lights that go in the lens in the back and a single set of wires run up front to connect to he bus. Less to go wrong electrically.

Call if you want to talk more about this, all though I don't know much more than what I have already told you. ( Loc, Bite me, I know what you're thinking )

Gary S.

We pulled an H3 for 18 months and it was superb.. we loved it and would probably still have it if it a little bigger.. we are both big and always had company with us so we eventually opted for a suburban...if you can handle the size it should be perfect.. we had a BlueOx base plate installed and it too was perfect... a great setup in my opinion..
    Diane

QUOTE=phorner;69889]We are looking at a 2008 Hummer H3 Alpha as a replacement for our 2002 Jeep Liberty as a toad vehicle.

Although a little heavier, so far it looks like the Hummer will make a good replacement.

Anybody have any comments/cautions/advice for towing this vehicle behind the bus??

It looks like Blue Ox has a base plate kit that essentially replaces the front tow hooks with brackets used to attach the tow bar. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for the input....[/QUOTE]

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD