Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hummer H3 Alpha toad considerations

Default Hummer H3 Alpha toad considerations

We are looking at a 2008 Hummer H3 Alpha as a replacement for our 2002 Jeep Liberty as a toad vehicle.

Although a little heavier, so far it looks like the Hummer will make a good replacement.

Anybody have any comments/cautions/advice for towing this vehicle behind the bus??

It looks like Blue Ox has a base plate kit that essentially replaces the front tow hooks with brackets used to attach the tow bar. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for the input....

Paul,

Our Hummer is a pretty good toad - easy to hook up, no steering wheel lock, shift to neutral is easy enough and it has good utility.

As a vehicle, it has been pretty marginal. Poor or should I say usual GM quality, orphan vehicle (Chevy dealers will work on it most times), so as long as you can buy one super cheap you should do well. We have replaced six different plastic body parts with several of them that were nice enough to fail under warranty. I am about to replace the windshield trim since both sides failed after changing out the glass. The replacement parts were not cheap but I did find one on eBay.

We use a Roadmaster base plate and an the AirForce brake system with lights added to tow rather than tying into the Hummer lights.

Jerry,

Thanks for the comments.

We found a real clean, low miles one at a pretty good price. My concern was with no "off" position for the key was ther an issues with the battery going dead without pulling a fuse?. If there is no steering wheel lock then I guess it's safe to simply put the transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, and go?

I'm also thinking of transferring my Airforce One braking system from the Jeep to the Hummer. Looks like it should be easy enough.....

Paul,

Call me about your Jeep if you aren't trading.

I have an h3t alpha. 2009 orange, I love this truck. I purhase the h3t new from a dealer 4 months ago. I know it a 2009 for some reason they held this one because of the color. Price was 38k with 500 miles. I have not had any major problems. There are some small items that need to be taken care of but very minor. The 4 wheel drive system blend well to off roading and the easy of towing. The nice ride, with all wheel drive allow my hummer to respond like a sport car. I receive anywhere between 15 to 16 MPG. You may find a good deal on the ht3, 5 cly engine, but the ht3 Alpha bring the $$$. Happy hunting. Hope this helps. George

Paul,

No fuse pulling or key wrangling. Just turn the key on, put it in Neutral, push the 4hi and 4hi loc buttons at the same time (hold until the red N starts flashing and then turns solid red), put it in Park, turn the key off and pull it out. You're good to go.

Paul,
    I have no dog in this fight but how about an asian built vehicle to pull behind your Canadian coach. Check out the Maine Pog event and I believe a Hyundai pulled a POG members Jeep out of the ruff. My personal preference is a Hyundai or a Subaru. However you should be able to cut a good deal on one since Hummer is out of business.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Rick,

Thanks for the input. I can just imagine how proud a Jeep owner must be asking ANYONE for a tow rope..... last one I saw had a "Hummer Extractor" bumper sticker.... guess they may want to re-think that one!

One of the vehicles I had to try hardest to get stuck was a '79 CJ5...

Then again, I managed to bury an M-60 tank up to the turret.... but that's another story...

As far as a tow vehicle the H3 is great. That where it ends for me. The H3 has not been very reliable. the re-occuring issue for ours has been the front drive seals wearing out very quickly. Thaer has been some locking hub issues also.

Paul, I loved my little white H3 X Alpha, until I sold it and got an 08 H2 Hummer.

My H3 had 43K miles on it, and a little lady from Oklahoma flew down to pick it up and drive it home to her 6500 acre ranch.

I had the Blue Ox Base Plates, and recommend the Air Force One for aux. braking. If you take all of your current Air Force One Parts off of your jeep, SMI will sell you # 99207 $ 35.00 Reinstall Kit which has some tubing and other small parts to put it all back on your new Hummer.

Gary S.