Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We're hanging up the air bags.....

Tuga,

As a plane owner who has made the same hard decision I know of one solution. You are looking at the coach as an expense that is disproportionate to the enjoyment.

You can actually calculate a cost per day based on what it takes to own and maintain the coach. If you spend $10,000 per year (a number used solely as an example) and use the coach 50 days per year for the same $200 per day you can spend your nights at the Ritz. But if parting with what has become a lifestyle is painful the simple answer is to double or triple the days you spend enjoying the coach and it brings your cost per day down to Motel 6 levels. Then you can justify keeping it.

We hate to see you go.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Jon, did you sell your plane? Or did I read your post wrong. I gave mine up years ago, a hard decision to make.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Merle and Louise,

Sorry to read the news. You guys can use my shower anytime.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Pete, The plane remains for sale. Selling a plane today is like trying to sell real estate or boats or coaches.

Since I am not forced to sell I have priced it fairly ($5000 less than the book says it is worth), but I am not giving it away. Any Prevost owners want a very capable P210?

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Jon, If I were much younger (like 30 years), and had plenty of money (like Loc), I would be in the market. I'm sure it has been well taken care of.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Tuga and Karen,
    We'll miss you in the campground but glad you'll still be attending POG rallies. Skiff would have to give up his charity auction without you. RV ownership is a big drain on the bank account, for sure, but it's still my favorite way to travel. Hope to see you soon.
    Bonnie

Tony,
    Count on us being at the Labor Day rally and staying in one of Buckhorn's casitas. Thanks for the kind words we feel the same about you guys.

Jon,
    That is an interesting approach (using it more) but both the dollars spent and PITA bringing it in for repairs is what I am trying to avoid. I know that we are going to miss RVing, but at this point I think that it is a smart move to sell. Like you, our coach is not financed so we are not under any pressure to sell, it just seems like the smart move for us at this time. Who knows what the future will bring?

Cost of ownership has been discussed on this forum many times. I have kept a spreadsheet on every repair done on my coach & every improvement (Smart tire system, new TracStar antenna, Aqua Hot tank replacement, etc.) since I purchased it. So I had a running total of how much I have spent - it has averaged $2.30 per mile! That is maintenance plus depreciation plus improvements - it is a staggering amount of money. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the ride over the past 19 years but it is just doesn't make sense anymore.

Thanks for the kind words; you & Di have been great friends. We still plan on attending all of the POG rallies and look forward to learning more about coaches and their systems.

Loc,
    Between MM's couch to sleep on and your shower Louise and I are set! Thanks! You don't have a camera in that shower do you?

Bonnie,
    Thanks for the kind words and we look forward to helping out with auction next year at POG 10.
    Last edited by merle&louise; 12-02-2010 at 09:51 PM.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Like others, we hate to see you making a life style change which will happen to all of us eventually for various reasons. Your action brings up the reality of the golden years. Karen is welcome to cook in our kitchen and continue giving dance lessons.