Thread: ENGINE OIL LINES CAN SHUT YOU DOWN

Default ENGINE OIL LINES CAN SHUT YOU DOWN

Oil lines on and around the engine can shut you down and or cause sever damage to accessory eqpt. if they fail.

During my fun session at Lonsome George's shop, I was made aware of three potential hose problems.
    When we took the oil pan down for the new valve the drain hose for alternator cooling oil was found to be at the end of it's life. We had a new one made up and exchanged it.

One of the remaining two originates from the side of the block and connects to a T fitting down on the side of the engine. It exhibited signs of leaking and needed replacement asap but it was not convenient to change under our time restrained fun session . This hose is a bear to change and requires very good light (outdoor sun, best) and a 3/4" crows foot wrench. Disconnect the air tube at the air cleaner and loosen the other end. Swivel the tube up for clearance and go in with the wrench.
    Well you can figure out the rest of the procedure.

The third line goes from the front of the engine to the top of the alternator. It felt pliable and was left as is.

Being I had an excellent source for the SS Teflon hose and a lot of time and good weather, I went for them all after the fuel line project.

The leaking hose from the side of the block to the T fitting snapped like a pretzel upon being bent!

More pictures for your edification
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good Job Jim: Now finish the job for us by making a list of all the hoses required with their size, length, fitting sizes, and material along with sources for purchasing same. Brian took care of us on a few small water hoses from the cooling fill tank that needed replacing during POG VIII.
    Go boy you can do it !!
    You and George did a good job and alerted us to another serious problem. Gotta note this for next service check.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali