Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bumper Storage Compartment Question

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Tire Pressure

Well since I don't need the space under the bumper THAT bad I think I'll leave the spare especially since it already mounted on a shinny Aloca wheel tha matches the rest. I can take my time replacing the failed tire that way. How much air pressure you guys run ? I think it's somewhere between 90 -110 depending on who you ask. I can imagine this topic has been covered before somewhere in the forums. I hardly ever check my air pressure because I don't find the tires loose air but I really should more often. I ordered the LED monitors last week like a few other people did.

Ben Guest

Liberty told me to use the following pressures:
    Front: 110lbs
    Drive: 90lbs
    Tag: 85lbs

Others will say to weigh every corner and use tables that the tire manufacturer supplies. I have no clue how to weigh my beast, so I'm going with the numbers that Libery provided until I know different.

Ben,

Weighing is pretty trival. Many truck stops have CAT scales. You simply go to the scale, drive up on it, use the microphone there to contact the fuel desk, and then go inside to pickup your report. As I remember it cost about $8 to have this done. You'll want to position your wheels so that each axle is on a separate scale.

There are also other places/services which will come out and weigh each individual wheel for you, which I haven't tried. The CAT scales are about a 5 minute involvement.

Ray

win42 Guest

Jeff B : Your tires have max air pressure written on them. Mine said 120 pounds. If I was loaded like a truck 60-80 thousand pounds 120 is what I would run. I run 110 with my 40 ft. Jon had bad things to say about those LED air pressure gizmos, they leak. Save them for your biycicle. Add valve stem extenders to your rear inside duals if you don't already have them. It makes them easier to check and add air. Do check your air often, get set up with enough hose and fittings to reach every tire on the coach from the air supply ( probably located in the lower right door below the drivers side window ). The first time you have to shell out $ 600.00 Lew bucks for a new tire that was lost to neglect and providing it did'nt wreck you you'll be checking them often. Get truck type tire pressure check and add air tools. Check with Jon on your tire pressure, he has the same size coach as you, besides he has had more experiance than most of us..
    Damn I already raised my kids, why am I having to start over with you.
    Do some reading and listening before asking questions.
    Grumpy Ole Harry
    Last edited by win42; 10-31-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Geeez. I call him ole Harry a few weeks back and he rips me a new one, and now he is wearing his senior status as a badge of honor.

Dementia.

Ben's numbers are close, but just to be sure Jeff, get that coach weighed loaded as you normally have it loaded. That includes full fuel and water.

Once you know the axle weights, go to the Michelin or tire manufacturer's site for your size tires and inflate the tires according to their recommendations. Do not use the inflation pressures called for by Prevost. They are generic and you want to be at the specified pressures for the best ride and service life from your tires.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Tires

Harry- Thank you for your paitence. I'll be a good lad and start checking the air more frequently. In addition to the cost of the tire, I've heard that a blow out on a front tire makes for a very hard to control coach (as you might expect I suppose). Someone told me that it happened to them and it took their full strength to control the bus from crashing. Is this an exageration ? Scary if not.

I have a great air gauge and I have valve extenters to get to the inside tires ok. I didn't know you could use the air off your bus to air up the tires however. I like to read and wish I could read more but my coach didn't come with the Royal manual and Royal says they don't have one. I need to find another 97 Royal owner in the group that is willing to make a copy I guess.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

The common sizes for heavy trucks are

11-22.5 and 12-24.5
    Unless they are running super singles they have one of the two.
    Thats where all the reasonable prices are, and availability too.

I think this would be a good request for the Virtual Coach thread. It would certianly save a bunch of cash.

I think I remember seeing busses for sale on the internet with these "truck" sizes. Couldnt tell ya if they were switched or older busses used common sizes with trucks?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I think we are Guilty of the DREADED THREAD CREAP here

win42 Guest

Jeff B & Jon: I apologize for being so salty today. My Lab woke me up @ 3:AM barking and put me it a roten mood all day. I'll try to remember to stay off the keyboard when this happens. Jeff I don't mind doing what I can to help you, if I can. The POGers out there have certainly helped me a bunch and will continue to help us all. Enjoy our beautiful State of California.
    Harry

Ben Guest

Are you saying that I should be able to get 110lbs of pressure from my airpump? When I've used the connector below the drivers seat wiring area, I might get 80lbs... seemed to deflate instead of inflate my tire... like the tire was feeding the bus and not the other way around.